Roma rescues game

check_bin_krap

From BBC:

Referee struck at Roma

Frisk was not fit to take the field for the second half

Roma's Champions League match against Dynamo Kiev was abandoned at half-time after referee Anders Frisk was struck by an object thrown from the crowd.

The incident happened as Frisk walked off at the interval and left the Swede with blood dripping from his head.

Just after blowing for half-time with Kiev leading 1-0, Frisk had sent off Roma defender Philippe Mexes after he petulantly kicked Maris Verpakovskis.

"We deplore what has happened," said Uefa spokesman William Gaillard.

He added: "This is the first time in many years that a European match has been stopped for such an incident - sometimes there have been electrical failures with floodlights of course, but this is something far worse."

Frisk suspended the game because he wasn't in condition to continue

Uefa delegate Andre Francioli

Uefa's disciplinary committee are expected to meet on Thursday to discuss the match delegate's report and Frisk's report of the incident.

Frisk required medical attention to the wound, and - after a 40-minute delay - the decision was taken to abandon the match.

Uefa delegate Andre Francioli added: "Frisk suspended the game because he wasn't in condition to continue, because he was seriously hurt and because his security was not guaranteed."

It is not the first time Roma have been in trouble.

Two years ago Roma and Turkish side Galatasaray were involved in a mass brawl involving players, officials and riot police at the end of a Champions League game in Rome.

Frisk also refereed that game.

After Roma appealed, Uefa reduced some of the punishments it handed out to the Italian club.

Roma captain Francesco Totti had his suspension reduced from three matches to two, while Brazilian midfielder Francisco Lima's three-match ban was cut to one.

Uefa also withdrew its decision to ban Roma from the Olympic stadium for one match, instead fining the Italian club £221,000.

Last season Roma and Lazio fans also clashed with police outside the Olympic Stadium after the city derby was suspended by a false rumour that a child had been killed by a police car.

With Roma being down to 10 men and under with 1 goal, this raises an important question. This match will be replayed, and by presendence Roma will not suffer any lost points. Even if the match is replayed at a neutral ground, Roma gets an advantage as they can start afresh and with 11 men.

Is this an invitation for home supporters to try in any way possible to get a match abandoned if their team is in shit?

I think the win should be awarded to Dynamo Kiev, and Roma to play their next match at a neutral ground.

Cheers!

That's a disgrace.

I agree that ROma should have lost the game and next home games on neutral ground.

BTW...don't we have a second referee available for such incidents? Or when the first ref gets injured?

I have ever seen the ref getting replaced unless the first one decides to stop for misbehavior from the fans instead of his own injury.

Zaad said:

That's a disgrace.

I agree that ROma should have lost the game and next home games on neutral ground.

BTW...don't we have a second referee available for such incidents? Or when the first ref gets injured?

I have ever seen the ref getting replaced unless the first one decides to stop for misbehavior from the fans instead of his own injury.

Correct Zaad, there was a second referee. But the Swede, despite being too unfit to continue appearently was fit enough to deem the second referee as "too inexperienced" to take over.

Which raises the point why the second referee was there at all.

Cheers!

Perhaps only to hold up the sign for how many extra injury time minutes shall be added? :)

But seriously, I don't think that's up to the first ref to decide. The second ref is present which should OBVIOUSLY say that he's prepared and qualified (of course) to take over if necessary.

This definitely needs to be discussed about. Something's not right here.

Zaad said:

Perhaps only to hold up the sign for how many extra injury time minutes shall be added? :)

But seriously, I don't think that's up to the first ref to decide. The second ref is present which should OBVIOUSLY say that he's prepared and qualified (of course) to take over if necessary.

This definitely needs to be discussed about. Something's not right here.

I did read another report now, which said that the game was called off because of safety concerns. And not because of the second referees inexperience.

I am not sure which version is right.

Probably the first one (safety concerns) as the second one (ineperience of the second ref) would likely get them a lot of criticism, and rightly so.

I think Frisk will have to explain himself for those comments anyhow. WHat he said about his replacement is ridiculous of course. Hope he has a fast recovery btw, those fans aren't fans, they don't love they game as you and I do, they're a bunch of pussy ass cowards who ruin a nice day out for the true lovers of the sport.

Knowing UEFA they will probably make it a 3-5 match ban on home games and a fine. I am not sure if they have the power to award the tie to Kiev or not, I think they do and 3 points would certainly be a more just penalty than a couple of hundred thousand dollars which they can pay out of their back pockets.

The ref can call it off for public safety or general safety reasons but cannot for inexperienced linesman.

"The referee suspended the game as he was not in a condition to continue and the security of the other match officials could not be guaranteed. " from UEFA. (my bold )

my observations around 14 Hours after the game.

the 1st reports say that Frisk abandoned the Game because of the 4th Officials inexperience.

i always thought that the senior Linesman took the place of the Ref and the 4th Official took his place running the line.

UEFA have to hold their hands up and admit they got things wrong if the 4th Official was not experienced in this type of Game.

Frisk is one of the most experienced Refs in the Game(i like him)and he should be listened to.

it is not his choice who his Team are,UEFA choose that.

watched the incident on TV and 1 shot clearly shows a bearded Man throwing something towards the pitch.

if Roma are determined to do anything to save themselves then posters of this Man should be put up all over Town and a reward offered for his arrest.

but do Roma care?,will they think that UEFA will be their usual spineless self and bow down to the might of a top European Country and push it all under the carpet?.

personally i think Roma should forfeit the Game(but i do feel a bit sorry for them as they cannot do anything about people throwing things)and be banned from playing at home for the Group stages at least.....

It's just amazing how the Italians have got away with so much for so long. Riots, racist chanting, bribes to referees, people knived every year... You can bet that if any of this happened with an English club, they'd have been banned already. :cussing:

Same thing happens with Turkish clubs. UEFA seem only to be concerned with misdemeanours of England (a few people invade the pitch in celebration at the Stadium of Light and we're warned that any misbehaviour in Euro 2004 will result in a ban!)

Fucking UEFA/FIFA and their obsession with booking players for things like goal celebrations rather than tackling the real issues! :cussing:

Archived