Cat Stevens arrested by USA security

OCgringo

Just on TV was a report that singer Cat Stevens was arrested by US officials,

It seems he is on a Terrorist watch list , but they let him on the plane anyway ,

When the plane landed he was grabbed and will be sent back to the UK on the next flight,

Cat Stevens converted to Islam years ago,

I am sure there will be a report in the paper tomarrow

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cat Stevens sparks US plane alert

The singer converted to Islam in 1977

A security alert involving the singer who used to be known as Cat Stevens has forced a London-to-Washington flight to be diverted to another US airport.

The plane was already in the air when US officials identified that the singer, whose name is now Yusuf Islam, was on one of their "watch lists".

United Airlines Flight 919 was diverted 600 miles (1000km), landing in Maine.

After an interview, the singer - who converted to Islam in 1977 - was denied entry into the US.

Transportation Security Administration (TSA) officials said the access was denied "on national security grounds", without giving any further details.

Yusuf Islam is now expected to be put on a flight out of America later on Wednesday.

Four years ago, Mr Islam was deported from Israel over allegations that he backed militant Muslims.

Yusuf Islam was born Stephen Demetre Georgiou in London to a Greek Cypriot father and Swedish mother.

Since abandoning a successful music career in the late 1970s, he has devoted himself to advocating and teaching Islam.

One high-profile activity was the founding of a Muslim school in London.

BBC

I see a flood of ppl getting into USA every day from the border

( mexico/calif) and they make a big deal of sending a burnt out singer back to the uk?

Looks like getting press rather than results to me.

"Yusuf Islam was born Stephen Demetre Georgiou in London to a Greek Cypriot father and Swedish mother...."

A Greek and a Swedish? Sounds like a punter telling a massage-parlour hooker what he fancies from the "menu". :o

jack :drunk:

PS. Slightly on topic, but I wonder if Rajid "Cat" Stevens and Mr Snoop "Doggy Dog" are in some way closely related so far as the animal kingdom goes? :clown:

Archived