Student Visa - Australia

sidsanuk

I'm interested to hear from anyone who has any experience in getting a Student Visa for a TG to study at an English College in Australia (Sydney).

I just want to make sure we have the bases covered before applying.

In summary, my TG GF (non BG) wants to study English in Australia for 3-6 months or more.

I have got all the applications from a college here. Understand that the process is; apply for course, pay course fee. College then sends a letter to Australian Embassy in BKK saying the student is enrolled. TG then applies for student visa.

If visa is refused, tuition fee is refunded.

Just to ensure she has the best chance of getting a visa, I would be keen to hear about:

1. Any specific issues that might arise during application for a visa.

2. Any tips to use on the application to improve chances of success.

3. What happens if she wants to extend her stay to continue studying.

4. Any other tips or traps to be aware of?

Thanks

Sid

I know of a case where a girl was refused a student visa to study english in australia because she hadn't done enough school in thailand..(mor4) apparently the australian embassy said that she needed to complete her education in thailand to a point where it was necessary to go overseas to improve her

english or to a point where she had progressed beyond the standard of english

education offered in thailand

There is a new requirement that the money for

the course must have been held for at least

six months before application.This was introduced to stop the indians etc just borrowing the money,but there are also some

provisions for sponsorship.If she is serious

about going to the whole course,do not overlook the courses offered by some universities here in OZ.Newcastle for sake of

an example has a good one,that after 12 months of English they can go straight into

a degree course,provided they have done 10

years of schooling.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips.

Maybe I was not too clear :-) She has applied for a course in Australia (where I live) and been accepted. I am paying for the course.

The College sends a letter of enrollment to the Aussie Embassy in BKK. It is then up to the embassy to decide if she gets a visa or not.

I just wondered if there were any good tips to apply on the visa application?

Thanks

Sid

Just a thought after reading your other post re fiance visa. It might?? almost be easier keeping your gf in Aus on long tourist visas, if you tell immigration your circumstances re waiting for divorce etc, with breaks back to LOS to renew visa. If you eventually marry, she can get free language lessons as a new migrant.

Good luck, mate.

If you need help on the tourist visa, just let me know. I feel a bit of an expert now having managed 2 for my gf. All they want to know is that you have a genuine ongoing relationship, that you have sufficient funds to take care of her and that she won't overstay. The longest I got was 6 months... maybe I could have got more If I'd asked. If you've already shelled out money for the study course, I don't want to stuff you up re a refund etc.

Good luck, mate.

Guys,

Thanks for the tips. I will do some research on the relevant web sites over the next few days.

As a matter of interest, my GF rang the embassy in BKK just to make a general enquiry on student visas. :-(

She has to show 500,000 baht in her bank account and that it has been there at least 6 months. As pointed out already!

Whilst I am happy to make the deposit, we are not over the moon about waiting around 6 months. Guess we need to look at other avenues.

Sid

My question is do they consider the background of the woman before making such demands?

As always the rich get richer by being able to get a better education in another country, return and get a better job.

quote:

Originally posted by sidsanuk:

Guys,

Thanks for the tips. I will do some research on the relevant web sites over the next few days.

As a matter of interest, my GF rang the embassy in BKK just to make a general enquiry on student visas. :-(

She has to show 500,000 baht in her bank account and that it has been there at least 6 months. As pointed out already!

Whilst I am happy to make the deposit, we are not over the moon about waiting around 6 months. Guess we need to look at other avenues.

Sid

The Plot Thickens! I think I need some professional help in processing this student visa application. Perhaps you guys know of an Immigration Lawyer/Consultant in Bangkok or Sydney that might be able to help me.

I don't want to risk my GF blowing her chances with a poorly prepared application.

Probably not a great topic of discussion here, but the issue appears to be, for those who might be interested :-)

DIMA (Immigration Department) lay down guidelines for the issuing of visas. All countries are broken down into 5 levels, based on the likelhood of of visa holders overstaying their visa. 1 is good, 5 is bad risk.

Thailand is level 2. But the Embassy in Thailand when questioned on the phone, appear to be imposing level 4 conditions, which are much harsher. eg, must show 500,000 baht in the bank for at least 6 months. This is not a condition for Thiland according to the rules.

An education agent in Bangkok supported the Embassy's interpretaion of the rules. When I spoke to DIMA in Sydney.....they were surprised!

So. Professional advice required I think, as it will probably have to go to appeal. I am assumuning the Embassy will refuse her application.

Any experts out there that you know of?

Sid

Archived