New Zealand visa for Thai GF

Does anyone know if New Zealand offers on arrival visas for Thais travelling there.

I have seen a number of adverts in the BKK post for package tours and they seem quite reasonable.

What I plan to do is tell my GF that I'd like her to come on my next visa run to Malaysia and then surprise her at the airport

by getting on a plane to NZ. Obviously the surprise element doesn't work if we have to get visas first.

Also has anyone got any recent experience of dealing with the Thai embassy in Wellington?

I've heard Thais can get a vis on arrival as well. Why? Who the hell knows. New Zealand is either is either in dire straights for cash or more likely for illegal workers.

From memory NZ last year was generously granting 3 mth visas on arrival for Thais which was reciprocated with 3 mth visas for Kiwis in Thailand. Then NZ immigration got a bad press in Thailand for turning back too many women on arrival...some justifiably, some over zealously. So they cut it back to one month visas, and the Thais did the same.

Even though you are accompanying your GF, have your story straight. If she is ex bg don't tell them that at immigration. Say she was your maid or something. Tell her to dress reasonably modestly, minimum makeup, keep her jewelry in her handbag (... you could justify all this to her on the grounds that you're going to Muslim Malaysia and still maintain the surprise) Tell her to bring other clothes too since you're going to a farang resort.

Good luck, mate.

PS. Keep us posted. Would love to hear about her reaction at the airport.

[ June 24, 2001: Message edited by: robaus ]

I'm 99% sure that Thais CANNOT get a visa on arrival. I believe that your girlfriend must go to the embassy and fill out an application form and then attend an interview. The cost of the application is 1800 baht. I have heard it described as "far more humane" than the interviews held at other embassies.

quote:

Originally posted by Stickman:

I'm 99% sure that Thais CANNOT get a visa on arrival. I believe that your girlfriend must go to the embassy and fill out an application form and then attend an interview. The cost of the application is 1800 baht. I have heard it described as "far more humane" than the interviews held at other embassies.

==

==

i'll wager its more humane than austalia's, before and after that nazi ruddock came to power!

mad.gif" border="0

Archived