motorcycle

to be absolutely legal:

you need a valid work permit/nonimmigrant visa to own a motorbike.

you need a driving licence

but practically needed:

have the motorcycle registered in a thai name

forget the licence, 100 baht will sort out a problem (sorry, forgot my licence at home...), a cop once advised me after fining me (that time officially) that i should never say that i have no licence, that would be more expensive

wear a helmet!

Actually not quite true Fly, a non immigrant visa was required up until recently, but currently you can register the bike in your name with a 3 month tourist visa obtainable in Cambodia.

When you buy a bike, you need to check the green book, this is a small registration book, shows the details of the owner, his address, the bikes frame and engine numbers, and in the back, stamps for each year the rego has been paid up. This shows you when it was first registered and if the rego has been paid up currently.

Also needed about 4 A4 forms signed by the previous owner with his address filled in, and copies of his Thai ID card, or passport and visa if a Farang. Then you take all the paperwork with copies of all the pages in your passport to the local transport office and a few hours later you will have spent about 7 to 900 baht, got new rego sticker, and a 4 week wait for your new number plate. Remember to keep the compulsory government insurance up to date or the cops will fine you. This costs about 650 baht a year. Rego is 100 baht a year with a 20 baht fine for being late to pay it.

You dont need a work permit.

Oh yes, the cops seem to accept US driving licences no problem, and if you have a valid driving licence from anywhere, you can go and get a Thai licence easily, just a written test which you will be shown how to complete LOL, and I think 60 baht for the bike licence. Best to get the car one aswell, while you are there.

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: jingjoh ]

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: jingjoh ]

Since I bought a motorcycle myself a few weeks ago I'll tell you my experience. I had also heard that I could put the bike in my name with only a tourist visa but for me that didn't prove to be the case. To register the bike in your name, you need a certificate of residence and here in Pattaya, immigration only issues them to people with type O visas but you do not need a work permit. I left the motorcycle in the dealers name after keeping all my receipts and paperwork, I figured that was a much better risk than putting it in the girlfriend's name smile.gif" border="0

> but currently you can register the bike in your name with a 3 month tourist visa obtainable in Cambodia.

What's the deal on this three month tourist visa? The only tourist visa that I know about is the 60-day variety.

JGA

quote:

Originally posted by Lucky:

Since . To register the bike in your name, you need a certificate of residence and here in Pattaya, immigration only issues them to people with type O visas but you do not need a work permit.
smile.gif" border="0

You can get an Affadivit ot Residency at the US Embassy (for US citizens. I understand same is available at other embassies) for the purpose of buying a vehicle. Isn't this the same thing?

Sorry, typo I missed, yes it is the 60 day visa.

As for letter of residence, you have to have that regardless of what visa you have, for US residents, walk into the embassy, ask for letter of residence, fill out the forms (do 2 or 3 as the charge is the same and it costs you a shitload at your embassy) they will stamp and sign your completed form, then off you go. easy smile.gif" border="0

> but currently you can register the bike in your name with a 3 month tourist visa obtainable in Cambodia.

What's the deal on this three month tourist visa? The only tourist visa that I know about is the 60-day variety.

JGA

Archived