Will the 'hiso" family step in?

MrX

Ok... We all know about Tata and Ball..........so my falang friend is personable, though with no particular credentials beyond a first degree and a reasonable salary in LOS. She is 35ish, scion of some government big-wig, beautiful, over-educated abroad. They are a new item.

My friend is worried the family will oust him in the longer term. I say dont worry; she is old already and they will be happy to have her off the shelves.....

I think it very much depends from family to family. In my experience he will encounter more problems if the family has a chinese background.

Some of my wifes girl-friends are "chinese" thais, and I know that they encounter in general more problems when it comes to bf`s, and that isn`t only restricted to foreign ones. Very possesive mums. :-)

My wife`s family (I would say they are "hi-so") didn`t get involved, except for the fact that they wished we would have waited longer before getting married. But in the end they understood. They were very supportive in every aspect.

I would say it`s very much as in every other relationship. It will just be a matter of the fact if they like him, and if they trust him fully. But that takes time.

[color:"red"] Some of my wifes girl-friends are "chinese" thais, and I know that they encounter in general more problems when it comes to bf`s, and that isn`t only restricted to foreign ones. Very possesive mums. :-)

[/color]

First I do not like the label "hi-so, lo-so" nonsense. Money does not make ones become such, however, the Thai society seems to think so. :(

I feel that any Thai family will care about their daughters and sons' relationship. More so with daughters, no matter what kind of money or education the family has. We all care for our children.

Jasmine

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree bluntly with you Jasmine :dunno:

The perception of class among Thais is powerful. It accounts for alot of petty snobbery that has nothing to do with 'caring' for kids. The main example I can give is a personal story about a mate of mine Seth.

He was an educated young farang, handsome, not a lush, really kind of stand-up fella for LOS. He was dating a Chinese Thai Girl whose family was high up in Bangkok Bank. He was no lout, but not swell. BTW, his age was mid-20's like hers.

He got axed because of being a foreigner and the family being snobs. The girl held out for awhile because she was smitten, but her Dad was yelling at her everynight calling her names :(

She was having to lie to meet him in the end on the odd night. They wanted her to marry above her in life or equal to her footing. But definitely not a farang. You'll run into a bevy of social stereotypes and typecasting as you meet the more affluent people in life - I've learned this over and over again.

Remember farangs can't lose face because they never had any to start with...

the_numbers

>>>Remember farangs can't lose face because they never had any to start with...<<<

i don't really see that comment having anything to do with the thread topic, but i do take exception to it. the more involved you get here, the more face you get out of necessity. and you can very well lose it big time, which makes life here extremely difficult as a result.

obviously if one's relationship with thais are strictly office, bargirl, partycircle, and then maybe girlfriend (partygirl of course, as one does not want to be seen with ex-bargirl) with keeping as little contact with her family as possible then face is not much of an issue.

but if you want/have to do anything within thai society you better get used to the idea of face and facerelated issues, especially concering yours.

The last line was a joke I heard from some tourist headed to the Phillippines on holiday.. :: He was just gonna be getting down and dirty for three weeks with a buffet of whores.

Take exception. I agree with your take on the matter especially if involved in Thai society for long.

the_numbers

>>>from some tourist headed to the Phillippines on holiday.. He was just gonna be getting down and dirty for three weeks with a buffet of whores<<<

definately a man of experience then. ::

Archived