*ALL* Bars in Phuket to close indefinitely!

Yehtmae

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the problem also seem to be that not everybody reads the local newspaper. A few days ago, it was in the paper that the Phuket govenor claimed one of the reason for early bar closures was because of prostitution. It was also mentioned that by closing bars earlier, there should be less women from the north coming to Phuket to work as prostitutes.

As for the US indicating that if Thailand does not clean up their act in this area, there might be a trade embargo - that also has been in the paper many times. That has nothing to do with trade negotiations going on right now but has to deal with the State department.

You are right: I don't read the local Phuket papers. If the Phuket govenor said the early closing times were needed "because of prostitution" (to end it?), and this because of pressure from the US, he is full of...well he is wrong. He may have said it (I wouldn't know), but there is certainly no rational connection between any of these things.

As for the strike, I assume a good part of the idea behind this is to drive home the point of just how important the nightlife is to Phuket's tourism industry. I have no doubt that it is very important. But I have my doubts about a strike being succesful. In any event, I wish them the best in getting the government to back down. When it comes to picking appropriate policies, this government is a disaster, but they do understand the importance of money.

<If the Phuket govenor said the early closing times were needed "because of prostitution" (to end it?), and this because of pressure from the US, he is full of...well he is wrong>

after all those years in LOS you should have been able to adopt some of the thai logic :neener:

as for mousy's statement that not cleaning up prostitution in thailand would result in a US embargo: that is ridiculous as US is the only country that sends their staff (US soldiers) regularly to thailand for R&R activities, well knowing that a lot get involved with prostitutes...

What would happen do you think if sanuck in Thailand ended as we know it and Cambodia saw an opening in the market to take up the reins where Thailand left off.

Ten years pass.Cambo's tourism industry is growing and Los's is shrinking at an alarming rate.Will the powers that be allow this to happen?

I'm in patong now, word has it only one nite closing ( strike) and see what happens.

bad timing on my part, it will be my last nite her ( 26 th)

bar owners say any that dont go along with the strike will regret it.

it will all be past news soon anyway.

yup.... another phoney "big deal"

they will all close on a 'holiday' when most of the girls want to go home anyway .......... now they don't have to pay any overtime ......... typical BS protest.

Boy that will sure intimidate the authorities.

The Patong Bar closure is really going to be off radar now for all politicians after the rash of violence in Narathiwat!! :eek: The South is certainly experiencing more problems from separatists than drunken punters -

Perhaps diplomacy is the answer: send the drunken punters who have no late nights in Phuket anymore to Narathiwat. Bring the party to the insurgency?? ::

the_numbers

Archived