Buying Votes?

Khun_Kong

Hell, I'm thinking about going myself! :)

Draw your own conclusions about the TRT Fair going on at the Impact Arena.

BKK Post article

Buses throng to TRT fair from all over

People get money, food and transport to attend

By Ampa Santimetaneedol

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday kicked off a fair showcasing the government's achievements amid criticism that it unfairly served the Thai Rak Thai party's election campaign effort.

In his opening address, Mr Thaksin urged the public to spare half a day for the exhibition at Muang Thong Thani's Impact Arena which gives visitors ideas about how to improve their life.

And he pledged the government would do better in the next term.

``In the next four years there'll be no hardworking person without a home. There'll be no farmer who does not own land,'' Mr Thaksin said.

``There'll be no children without education. There'll be no patients left untreated. There'll be no lonely elderly. There'll be no helpless disabled,'' he said.

Meanwhile, Gothom Arya, a former member of the Election Commission, said yesterday the fair was unprecedented and called for an inquiry by the poll agency. He said a lot of money was obviously spent on the event.

``Being in the government gives you an advantage. As part of political etiquette, it shouldn't organise such an event with the election so near,'' he said.

Mr Thaksin, accompanied by his wife Khunying Pojamarn and their three children, spent two hours touring the exhibition and then moved to a food booth where he demonstrated his cooking skills.

With the help of his son, Panthongthae, the prime minister cooked kai kaprao (chicken with basil and chilli), kung kaprao (shrimp with basil and chilli) and egg soup. He then had lunch with his cabinet ministers and the media.

Narit Kamnurak, the Democrat deputy spokesman, said the function showed that the people now in power were out to take unfair political advantage.

``They have no mind for what is appropriate or what is right,'' Mr Narit said.

Suranand Vejjajiva, the Thai Rak Thai spokesman, defended the fair saying it was organised to inform people what their government had been up to for four years. He said the prizes given out to people have nothing to do with the election and the party was willing to be examined by the Election Commission since all expenses paid by various ministries were properly recorded.

Security was tight with 1,000 police and bomb disposal squads deployed.

The fair drew 300,000 people on its first day _ most reportedly arriving from the provinces on chartered buses.

About 500 buses were lined up in the car park at Impact Arena, one of the country's leading trade exhibition and concert venues.

One visitor, Nakhon sae Tang who travelled from Khon Kaen, said that she was told to get on the bus by an MP.

``I don't know the details of the fair. I'll check it out once I'm in. All I know is that there are lots of free stuff,'' she said.

Mrs Nakhon did not know if she would come back. ``It depends on if the MP provides transportation. And I'll have to see if I'm free to come again,'' she said.

A visitor from Buri Ram said that people from every district there were invited to come to the fair.

He said those from Muang district received 1,000 baht each while those from other districts received about 300-400 baht each to come to the fair.

He said two buses brought people from each district, but six buses were used in Muang district.

``We left at 10pm on Friday and stopped at gas stations and waited for each other. We had plenty of food and drinks all the way to Bangkok. We sang karaoke too.''

A group of housewives from nearby Ayutthaya said that they were approached by a village head to visit the fair. ``He invited me to get on a bus to Muang Thong Thani, and said that the prime minister would be giving away facial cream. If he really does, I'd like to have some,'' said one member of the group.

>>A visitor from Buri Ram said that people from every district there were invited to come to the fair.

He said those from Muang district received 1,000 baht each while those from other districts received about 300-400 baht each to come to the fair. <<

With government funds? Not much chance for the challengers to compete with incumbents. No worries the election commission will be all over the PM for this one

:cover:

jeez, inflation is everywhere. :banghead:

Used to be able to buy a vote for 200 baht........ now it's 1000 and you have to feed them and supply face cream........ that will bite deep into the slush fund. Maybe free phone time and hey, phones would be cheaper for Khun T.

The cost of remaining in power in Thailand is almost a science. When Chris Baker and Dr Pasuk spoke at a British Chamber a few months back, they estimated that the Thai economy had to grow by at least 5% to generate enough skimable income to keep TRT in power.

Now the government intends to embark on a major infrastructure binge. They plan on spending nearly US$ 70 billion over the next 5 years. Thailand really could benefit from major infrastructure improvements, but it is pretty clear what this is really all about.

Archived