Totty Footy

Long Gun

The World U-19 Women's Championships kicks off on Wednesday - Bangkok, Phuket and Chiang Mai and I'm quite keen to attend a game or two, purely as a football fan, of course.

Especially interested in Canade v Thailand on Saturday evening BUT, where on earth is the Supachalasai Stadium?

Thailand's first group game (v Australia) is at Rachamangala but the next two are at this place (Germany are the 4th team in their group) and it's also being used for the quarter finals (with Chiang Mai) and the semis, with the final back at Rachamangala.

LG, the sad thing about the U.S. men's team is our women are not only better comparitvely but play a better style of football. Our woman are more Arsenal '04 and the men are more Arsenal '94.

Still, wouldn't mind seeing a game or two if I was over there...as a fan of football of course. :hubba:

Unfortunately Samui doesn't have a stadium, yet..........

Would love to swap some shirts for my collection after the game like I did a few times during the Kings Cup.

No clue where that stadium is LG, don't you have a map of BKK? Never been to a League game I take it?

Yes, thanks, Limbo, I always knew that as the National Stadium, same as the BTS station, and have been there loads of times as that's where Thailand always played the visiting clubsides, World Cup qualifiers etc, up until about 3 years ago, I think. Just never seen it called by that name before!

Anyway, we went last night and it's still a nice little stadium, though very poorly attended. You get two games on one ticket for the total price of B20!! I gave the Germany v Australia match I miss in favour of some meat and the company of a few of the Boards' Gooners. Perhaps unwisely, I headed for the girls' game at half-time when everyone left Timbevati, whose nice new Sports Bar has air-con, nice big screen but nobody who can work out how to get the sound on! Kman and Froggo were probably happy not to have to listen to the cheers and jeers of the Spurs fans during that first half though the assorted American and German neutrals would have appreciated a bit more atmosphere. Nice meat though.

Anyway, following their 0-6 first half against the Germans, the Thais were probably pleased to be only 0-4 down against the Canadians but they had paced themselves a bit better and kept the pace up through the 2nd half to clock up 7 without reply. It would be nice to see the Thais get a goal against the Aussies in the last group match but assuming it is a similar physical mismatch, that seems unlikely. The other teams look pretty much like you would expect u-19 international sides to look, tall, strong, fit, whereas the Thais all seemed to be little Issan schoolgirls, regulation haircuts on half of them. I could have put together a more dangerous squad from the fishbowl at CP2 in the afternoon!

There are thousands of tall Thai girls around, why don't they play football?

Hi Long Gun,

Didn't know either, have been plenty of times at the National Stadium myself. Saw a few versions of the Kings Cup there and a few International games of the Thai National team, as you indicated. Gues that role is now taken over by the Ramkanghaeng Stadium.

Funny, my wife didn't mention either that it's the National stadium.

Have fun at the games!

Archived