He,she,they

Dexi

Just glancing through a new book 1 bought - " Thai Reference Grammar " by J.Higbie + S.Thinsan,I noticed they have spelled " Kao " meaning he,she or they using kor kwai not kor kai.I don`t think I`ve ever seen this spelling before,so looked it up in the dic.and could not find it with this meaning.Does anyone know if this is an error or not ?Also early on in the book they say the word " ter " is used for she,whereas I always thought it could apply to either sex ( or 1 of 3 - TIT ).Apart from this it seems an excellent book full of interesting ways of constructing sentences in Thai.However,if these are mistakes it doesn`t inspire confidence in the book overall...

"khao" is used indeed for he, she or they, although for they (referring to more than others), "phuak khao" is better to use.

"Phuak Khao" can also mean "them"

"Ter" is usually used for females (she)

Hi guys,

I have a copy of this book and somewhere in the title (or subtitle) it says it is a reference grammar of spoken Thai.

The correct spelling is kho khai (egg) as said already. However, the pronunciation is high tone- not rising tone as might be expected from kho khai. This is one of the few exceptions to the tone rules. To write the word in Thai script indicating pronunciation with high tone, it is necessary to use kho khwai with the relevant tone marker. A word beginning with kho khai can never (should never) be pronounced high tone.

So, this is not a mistake but an attempt by the author to render spoken Thai.

Hope this makes sense.

Khwai (khor)

there's a few other ones with the same meaning as well.

"man" - in terms of humans very impolite

*thann* - for very high ranked persons, means also *you* in polite formal language.

Hi Samak,I see you are aquainted with the genius that is " Dtoy muak dairg "...what a great VCD...the IP. hates it but its my favourite,bought it last year,I wonder if they have released a new one yet..." lair wan nah ja ma eek krang ja kit dai fang mor lam sano. hoo "...

[color:"red"] "Ter" is usually used for females (she)

[/color]

It actuall can be used to address females or males who are younger than the speaker or amongst friends, males or females. I use that with my sister-in-law,niece and nephew and kids or younger people.

However, a lot of males use that to address their wives also.

Jasmine

[color:"red"] "man" - in terms of humans very impolite [/color]

I think you know that such word "man" is used amongst relatives and close friends. I use that with my niece, nephew or my brother in the family. Some of my school mates used the words with us, clssmates. We even use it with our class mate who is now a judge, only amongst us, mind you, when we talk about him with non-class mates we use "khao", never go as far as "than" yet! :o

However, I do not recommend that word used with anyone else though. My mother uses it all the times with anyone younger and most people are younger (I give up).

Jasmine

your mum seems to be really cool. ::

another person i use "man" (including a few other attachments your mum would enjoy ;) ) more or less exclusivily is our present PM here, but that is personal. ::

Archived