another problem

sayjann

Hi Guys.

i have another problem.

using my Computer last night and i got the message from Microsoft that 'they were having a problem and would be 'shutting down and anything i was working on or viewing would be lost'.

OK,not a problem as i just go back to whatever i was viewing.

but since then i have noticed something annoying.

i cannot open any links on any website or in my Hotmail.

EG someone has sent me a PM on this Board and i cannot open it or any links anyone might have posted on the Board.

i'm using Windows 2000,but cannot seem to do a system restore either.

have also found that i cannot open my Mozilla Firefox when i want to search for something.

have run various virus scans but they say my Computer is virus free.

any ideas Guys that might help me get my Computer back to what it was 24 Hours ago?

thanks for any help.......

First, do a disk cleanup. (acessories, system tools, disk cleanup). Remove all temporary files in this process. Also, check if this is a disk space problem (My Computer, right click drive C and choose properties).

Take a look at whats installed of programs (Control Panel, add/remove programs). Its a good idea to clean up stuff here, any programs you don't need will slow down the PC.

Try another browser than Mozilla. Same sympthons? You can try it with Internet Explorer. If it works, reinstall Mozilla. Run a search for Spyware - you can use Spybot or such programs.

Since you can connect to internet and post here, I don't think this has anything to do with the internet connection.

definately something going.

last night i had a notice appear saying "a third party has uninstalled some programmes which might stop your computer running properly,do you want to reinstall 180search assistant installation?"

thought why not and did so,but nothing much has changed.

also something else has come up.

you know the little orange light(well mine is orange)which lights up whenever the computer is doing something?.

well mine is now lit up all the time and slowing down the PC very badly.

when i clicked on this thread it took over 5 minutes for it to open.

does this mean the PC has an agenda of it's own and is working away in the background on something of it's own?.

and if so what could it be and anyone know how to stop it,cure it or how long this might go on for?.

no it does not help.......

Xmas bonus,what the fucks that?

just started a new job(sort off,just in a new department)but had to change my contract and having to work a Month in hand.

no more Paycheck until Dec 22nd.......

i'm now a very poor boy and have no money,hope the Beers are on you on Friday.

AND NO,I WILL NOT ALLOW ANY FILIPINOS TO BE CORRUPTED BY YOU LOT.

(really annoying when i cannot access the emoticons).

backing up?

i had a problem a few Months ago and a friend took away my PC and installed another HD.

so i now have 2(C & D Drive).

the C Drive is the new one and the one i use for everyday use and put stuff i want to save onto the D Drive every now and then,but of course this is not perfect.

at the moment i do not have the facility to back everything up.

i thought about this and just completely start again and use the recovery? disk.

but if i did back everything up then surely whatever is wrong with my PC now will be put back on my PC when i put the saved stuff back?.

now i have seen these memory sticks? which save all your data and then you can put it back onto any PC when needed.

is this so,could i save the entire contents of both my HD's and then start afresh?

and as i said before,surely if i have corrupted files or whatever now they will just be transferred to my newly 'cleaned' PC.

thanks for the replies Guys.

Archived