How much ANIMISM can you tolerate?

[color:"red"]These days, people slip in and out of that meaningfulness, I'd say Spirit Houses are the most ubiquitous and staying symbol of animism in Thailand. People are serious about not desecrating them, but it all sounds like paying lip service to ancient beliefs, more than having them defione one's lives.

[/color]

In Buddhism, it is said to be many worlds, Heave, Hell and other sub-worlds such as "Naga", many types of hells and so on. The spirit house (in what I was taught and read) is just a respect to the ones who died earlier in that land.

It is true, isn't it that earth are coverred with the bones of the dead something, being animals or humen?

I don't believe in many things people do, but I do respect their respect and will not insult anything.

It can break my control though when I see people worshiping a tree, weird made animals, dead animals, old ships, etc. ::

Jasmine

[color:"red"] As for animism: some criticize Thais because of ancesteral worship, but in the US, you see many of the same Thai critics show up on memorial day to put flowers on their dead relatives graves.

[/color]

You compare very well MM and I really appreciate that for I can use that for explanation when I need to.

My Hubby always visits his father's grave whenever he can. He believes that certain "conciousness" of the loved ones around, sounds similar to some people's belief in Thailand.

[color:"red"] There are a lot of similarities; it is we generally do not associate the beliefs from culture as being very sane in our culture. [/color]

This is what I believe also, I do beleive that people are basically the same.

Jasmine

In Buddhism, it is said to be many worlds, Heave, Hell and other sub-worlds such as "Naga"

--------------------------------------

In truth, this is not so much about Buddhism, but the fact that Buddhism is a tolearant philosophy that lets people devise or bring from other beliefs, any kind of mind construct that helps them on the way to salvation.

One of the least spoken attitude of the Buddha is the fact, that though supposedly all-knowing, having attained Nibbana, he had doubts that people could grasp the abstractions his Teachings led to.

He clearly saw mankind caught in samsara (life, and clinging to it), and not wanting to let go of superstitions. So, not unexpectedly, he went the middle-way, teaching the Truth but allowing extraneous ideas, tales, beliefs, etc... according to the level of wisdom people had reached. Some could grasp it in its most abstract form, and became quickly Arahat (enlightened monks), and some needed to hang on to their old self and take the flowery, much longer road, thru many lives, with edifying stories of hells and heavens, and whatnot.

It's like comparing an adult and a small kid, you can give him a book and wish he will read it, he may or not read it, but you know it's the pictures in it that will attract him to it first. Adults usually don't need pictures.

Buddha likened these extraneous additions to His Teachings to clutches an invalid needs if he wants to go places.

::Catholics pray and make offerings so as to get their loved ones out of purgatory. Thais build spirit houses and give offerings to their loved ones.

:) Christians believe in ghost, so do Thais.

:) Catholics adore the relics of saints, especially their bones - Thais not much different.

:) Christians wear amulets - generally crosses. Thais wear amulets, generally of Buddha.

and the similarities go on and on. The problem I think with Westerners, is [color:"blue"] we seem to be dispose to the way of thinking that Buddhism is very much different from Christianity, when in many cases, they are almost identical. [/color] One day, this point was brought to my attention from one Thai lady I know, who is a lawyer and wants to be a judge, who said [color:"red"] "All religions teach the same core beliefs". She continued on to say "they all say that it is wrong to kill for the fun of it, to lie for the fun of it, to steal for the fun of it, etc. " [/color]

That's human behaviour and superstitions you talk about. The core of all religions is the same, it's to find the way to unite with God, or whatever they wish to call it. Every religion has morality for premises, leading an immoral life (stealing, killing, etc...) is a deterrent to this attainment. This lady you talk about has evidently little knowledge, IMO, of Christianity or Buddhism, in their attitude towards the self (what she says is like saying, there is no difference between thai food and italian food, both can be delicious or deliver a bad stomach). Atheists, non-believers can have the same morals as she told you.

Christianity has a God, he is the judge, for any thai to believe Buddha is their judge is corrupting Buddhism. No problem with it, but that's what it comes to.

Punishment for sins in Christianity is brought onto you by God. This is why so many think they can speak in his words, and tell you you have sinned, or even punish you themselves on earth, again in his name. It also matters that you can be pointed at personally, as it's you MM, or me, P127 , who will go to purgatory, heel or heaven, not the vagrant soul of many reincarnations.

In Buddhism, you reap what you sow, no one is going to carry a stick or an affidavit against you. Any instance of this happening in Buddhism (and it happens) is again a corruption of that philosophy, not an act of faith.

All this points to a huge difference, the strong dualism in Christianity about a precise person being bad and being good, and there's someone to face up for it. He will decide, not you.

In Buddhism, there is no bad, no good, no such dualism, more like for you to know what is right and what is wrong, which are two sides of the same coin (your whole self) and you only face up to yourself, in this life or another. To do wrong does not mean you did something bad that needs atonement or repentance to your God, it means you have affected the balance of your karma, which will have adverse effects in your lives, and can only be corrected by you and you alone, again, in this life or another.

Hi,

I have always beleive that all religions have the same "core", that is teaching people to be good people and be good to each other.

I do not like to talk about religions especially with the ones who claim to know better than anyone else. Most of the times, I don't even do the saying of differences when someone mentions that there is a "god" in Buddhism, whatever they call him. :(

I was brought up with Catholic and Buddhism for my father felt that I should have a choice when I grew up. Most Thais are Buddhists by "inheritance" and, however, many take time and study. What really fascinates me is the people with different backgrounds of religion who read the things written by the people in similar background claimed to know more and of course, I don't find these people worth explaining to.

On a religion subject, I feel that it is better to study different writings and take whatever ones can understand and be the best person one can be.

Jasmine

Once I visited a temple togehter with my gf and her friends. I tried to do exactly the same as the girls and finally we came to the point to shake out these numbered rods and to search our horoscope.

Well, I don't believe at horoscopes but I got the best one of all. My gf got a fairly bad horoscope :(

A few days later we went again and I got ... the same good horoscope again. And my gf got a bad one... :(

The girls thought that I must have a lot of good karma and maybe it would be enough for me and my gf... I also wanted to give my horoscope to my gf, but she refused of course.

The conclusion of the story:

The ones who don't need it get the best...

Best regards

Archived