How much ANIMISM can you tolerate?

I think most will agree that Thais are Buddhist (95%), and as falangs we accept that. What I have noticed when talking to falangs is, that which really bothers them themost is the animist part. I have not found one yet, except for myself, that can stand the animist part of Thai culture.

:o [color:"red"] Why? [/color] :o

First the definition of animism.

[color:"blue"]1. belief that nature has a soul: the belief that things in nature, for example, trees, mountains, and the sky, have souls or consciousness

2. belief in organizing force in universe: the belief that a supernatural force animates and organizes the universe

3. belief in existence of separate spirit: the belief that people have spirits that do or can exist separately from their bodies

[Mid-19th century. Formed

[/color]

I do believe that other things in nature have "certain existence" but souls? Some examples may get us understand your post, especially for me.

Jasmine

Hi MM,

it's more than animism -

"Buddhism, as practiced in Thailand, is not the other-worldly religion of Western conception. Here, ultimate salvation or nirvana, is a distant goal for most. Thai Buddhists pursue the law of "Karma". Meritorious acts are undertaken and demeritorious ones avoided so that one's future life may be improved. This is the law of cause and effect.

It is also important to draw a distinction between 'academic' Buddhism, as it tends to be understood in the West, and 'popular' Buddhism, as is practiced in Thailand. In Thailand, Buddhism is a 'syncretic' religion that incorporates elements of Brahmanism, animism, and ancestor worship."

web page

Let me add - worship of the Royal Family!

elef

Throughout its history, Thailand has been characterized by its tolerance for alien religions and beliefs. Although census records that 94% of its populace are Theravada Buddhists, the country has always extended religious freedom to its subjects. Of the remaining 6% of the population, 3.9% are Muslims, 1.7% Confucianists, and 0.6% Christians (mostly hill-tribe people living in the north). Though the King is the designated protector of all religions, the constitution stipulates that he must be a Buddhist.

0.6% Christians (mostly hill-tribe people living in the north) ??????

Now that funny as there are a few 100 thousand Thai Christians in Bangkok as well.

Look at the names of lots of famous schools and hospitals.

BB

I would say Jasmine defined animism well.

As for animism, I find it in every religion; certain aspects stronger in some religions then in others.

As for animism, I have no problem with it - in the East or in the West. But what I have noticed is that people do not realize the similarities of the Western form of animism to that of the Eastern form found in Thailand. Because many look at it as being something 'different' they seem to be inclined to believe it is 'wrong'. If a person's GF or wife is Thai, I feel understanding the Western versions of animism may bridge the differences in this area in a relationship.

Mid-19th century. Formed

------------------------------

not sure what is this excerpt, Jaz, maybe a copy typo.

Animism is the oldest form of belief in invisible forces affecting the world of humans.

BTW, i'd say this is A&C stuff. or is it just about how farangs react to it?

Every religion ends up being corrupted at one point or another. Most of the occasional superstitions we see in today's Thailand, is only a remnant of something that affected people in the region much more deeply, in their daily life. A balance with nature and the world of animals and Spirits hiding in it had to be kept, adjusted, propitiated, ritualized, etc.... not as an habit, but as something meaningful. To foresake this was to invite trouble.

These days, people slip in and out of that meaningfulness, I'd say Spirit Houses are the most ubiquitous and staying symbol of animism in Thailand. People are serious about not desecrating them, but it all sounds like paying lip service to ancient beliefs, more than having them defione one's lives.

As for farangs, Well, if west goes east, better be ready to meet it too.... I'd hate to see a world where everyone adjusts to each other (definition of political correctness), and we all live in the same city, repeated a million times around the world. Sometimes, i think most guys come here, but never leave home, really. So, MM, count me in...

As for animism: some criticize Thais because of ancesteral worship, but in the US, you see many of the same Thai critics show up on memorial day to put flowers on their dead relatives graves.

Some can not understand spirit houses, but when something 'strange' happens in their house, they are the first to try to get somebody to do something about it.

There are a lot of similarities; it is we generally do not associate the beliefs from culture as being very sane in our culture.

The human brain is constructed to operate on animist beliefs. Vestiges still are around even in modern societies.

if a group of loggers said they are going to start cutting down the great redwood trees in california, why would you object? Do you believe "mother nature" should be respected?Physicists believe that all matter possesses an energy. Many people wear a cross or religous symbol. Some attribute human traits to inanimate objects: some love their car; others get angry at their computer because the computer is acting like an asshole.

:dunno:

Archived