15 year old in Nana parking lot !

OCgringo

"Last year the police rounded up a whole crew of adult beggars and the little girl flower sellers from the inner Sukhumvit area with the idea of deporting them.Everyone has seen the child flower sellers with lipstick on-very weird- I believe the adult beggars were deported but it was too much trouble to find foster homes for the kids and the children somehow remained on the streets selling their "flowers". Made my stomach turn when I saw them back out there even if I only go through that area. The cops took ngern dam and apparently told them no more naughtiness just sell your fresh cut flowers and cut out your side business.Thats as far as the rehabilitation went...

The police do not care- Makes me sick)"

Very disturbing, but as one bar owner said "the police get their ""flowers"" for free"

>>>Just a guess, maybe FlyW, who has the street beat, has more insight on this. <<<

there is one NGO here which can be notified about the situation, and which has the power and possibilities to do something. that is paveena's NGO. but sometimes their methods of force are a bit over the top, IMHO. i would call them only in extreme cases.

the police cannot do anything else than locking the kid up over night, and then send her the next day to one of the detention centres. and they are not really known for being places of study and education.

other NGOs can only do something when those kids stay at their centres out of free will. mostly kids of that age go there for a while to get a rest from the street to disappear again.

what do we know about that girl?

how long has she been on the street?

does she have family?

the most important thing to remember is that you only can help someone who wants to be helped. and that means responsibility. do you have the recources to take over that sort of responsibility?

yeah, right, she is underage, but hardly a child anymore.

it's not easy to do anything about a 15 year old street prostitute. i mean, that is not uncommon at all in the west as well. what do you guys do when you see all the kid junky whores at the known places, such as train stations?

what would i do?

well, i would maybe try to speak with her and find out if she is willing to accept help, and then decide if i should notify some organisation i know, or just let the matter drop (which in this situation is most likely the case).

but i would seriously advise not to do anything such as that if one does not speak thai, has not the necessary connections. such a situation can easily be misconstructed, and could lead to being in serious trouble for procuring an underaged prostitute.

like with everything, it's good when someone tries to help. but just the will to help is not enough, one has to have recources, plans, and experience to see if something can be done, or if one's involvement does not make things worse, or can get one into trouble.

IMO, you are totally right. Child sex may not be as open as it was before, er...for the asking, but it is still a problem that deserves the kind of involvement you talk about, constructive, long term and followed up actions where one's heart is not just jumping at an unfortunate sight on the street, but working at some level (even donations) to address the scourge. As i guessed, you also opined that the girl would find its way back on the street if doing something on the spot, to alleviate one's disgust.

I clearly saw a very young girl follow a farang on soi4, 2 years ago, it seemed obvious to me what was going on, but i did not see anyone thai react as i did (as you point sometimes, not their clan or peer group could be the reason, esp. in street life context), and i had an irate GF on my side, who had some moods to play up (probably hungry ::) rather than get involved in something many thais still think is not their business and may be inviting problems from bigger and more powerful than them (not the child of couse).

A few years ago, many falangs would not get involved if they saw another falang taking a child for the purpose of prostitution. But now, with so much publicity, everybody is having second thoughts on the matter.

I was mear the Westin the other night and was surprised to see a Thai woman, about 40, trying to sell a Thai girl. Becausae of how causually they were doing this, I assume they have done this many times before.

Archived