DVD playback restrictions

dddave

I bought a new Toshiba notebook yesterday. I was looking forward to using it for watching DVD's in both the US, where I am now and in Thailand where I spend most of my time. I was surprised to read in the instructions that DVD's in the US were somehow different from DVD's elsewhere and that it only allows 4 changeovers from region to region, after the 4th change, it is permanently locked onto that type.

Does anyone know a way around this restriction? Is there a utility available on the Internet or some setting I can change? I wonder what the rational is behind this restriction, is it some sort of anti-piracy rule?

While I'm at it, what is the safest way to un-install the many useless ISP and shopping site icons they clutter the desktop with; AOL, AT&T ect.??

Thanks

David

I don't know about your DVD region setting question, but as for your second question here goes.

Un-installing the software is different from merely removing the icons form the desktop. To un-install use the "Add/Remove Programs" under Settings->Control Panel. To simply remove the icon/shortcut from the desktop, right-click->Delete on the icon to be removed and answer Yes to the pop-up window,

Regards

If you have preconfigured dial-up connections you wanna delete go to your network connections. There these are listed under dial-up. There you may delete the connection. Note that the desktop icons remain and you have to delete them manually. Or you delete the icons from the desktop but leave the connections in you network connections list. (you're running XP, right?)

For the dvd drive and dvd regions there are several progs around that may help. Flashing with region protection free firmware is also an option but you'll loose the warranty for the drive.

Progs: I have good experience with dvd region killer. Maybe you download it and archive it somewhere on your harddrive. Unless you use other dvds than US ones (region 1) there is no need to do anything. If you happen to have a dvd from another region you may install DVD regionkiller, enable it and try if it works.

I flashed all my dvd drives with hacked firmware so they are RPC1 instead of RPC2, and have no problems anymore.

If you tell me the name of your dvd drive I can check if there is any firmware available. Or check yourself at rpc1.org

a couple more options are 1) have 2 dvd players installed :) or to copy the dvds and reset the region to match your player.

Firmware is best, but risky on some dvd players (or not even an option on some)

Software like DVD Region Killer is also workable in most situations.

When you get over, I'll set it up for you.......... I'm bringing all my toys. ::

Archived