Wireless home networks

zion

Hi, just wondering if anyone could answer the following re the above:

1) Is it at all possible to connect a usb adsl modem with a wireless router that only uses rj45 cable? Eventhough I found rj45/usb adapter, the two equipments won't talk to eachother. Any other solution other than purchasing new equipment under point 2?

2) One can also get an integrated wireless router/modem, or buy the modem and access point separately to connect to eachother. Are there any advantages of one over the other?

3) Can you recommend any specific shop in bkk to purchase these modems/routers?

Cheers.

A USB device will not integrate with a network hub or router.

My understanding is you have the following equipment:

USB ADSL modem.

Wireless Router.

More than one computer (one of which is wireless).

What you can do is have one of your computers act as your gateway to the internet. So you hook the USB ADSL modem to a desktop. Get online. Hook that computer into the Wireless Router (computer must have a LAN card).

On the desktop, under control panel, network connections, Local Area Connection, go to the advanced panel, and let other network computers use this computers internet connection (I never did this myself).

Get your laptop on the wireless network (having setup your wireless router accordingly so it will talk with your laptop). Set your laptops internet connection to go through the desktop.

Alternatively you can buy a combined ADSL/router/wireless device. You can read my recent threads here about my travails.

Can't recommend specific shops in bkk cause basically most people don't know what the fuck they are selling :) Least to the degree that I'd want (know more than me). Hows that for obnoxiousness?

<<burp>>

gummigut said:

A USB device will not integrate with a network hub or router.

My understanding is you have the following equipment:

USB ADSL modem.

Wireless Router.

More than one computer (one of which is wireless).

What you can do is have one of your computers act as your gateway to the internet. So you hook the USB ADSL modem to a desktop. Get online. Hook that computer into the Wireless Router (computer must have a LAN card).

On the desktop, under control panel, network connections, Local Area Connection, go to the advanced panel, and let other network computers use this computers internet connection (I never did this myself).

Get your laptop on the wireless network (having setup your wireless router accordingly so it will talk with your laptop). Set your laptops internet connection to go through the desktop.

Alternatively you can buy a combined ADSL/router/wireless device. You can read my recent threads here about my travails.

Can't recommend specific shops in bkk cause basically most people don't know what the fuck they are selling :) Least to the degree that I'd want (know more than me). Hows that for obnoxiousness?

<<burp>>

Thanks. I only have a laptop so looks like the I've only got the second option left.

lol about the shops...but to be fair the few shops i've spoken with have been ok :)

zion said:

2) One can also get an integrated wireless router/modem, or buy the modem and access point separately to connect to eachother. Are there any advantages of one over the other?

Cheers.

Look around for a Dlink "604+" wirelessrouter. I think that it is listed on the Australian Dlink's web site.Or do a goggle search.

I have an used one here sitting beside me. It is a wireless router with 2 rj45 ports and a integrated ("build in") adsl function. Plug a phone line into back than into the wall phone line jack causes the adsl light to lite. If that's what your looking for.

You will first need a adsl account (ie port) usually from the phone company. After you signed up they will attach an adsl port in line to your normal dial tone port. Than you will need to use adsl filters on your remaining phone jacks. The box I have has 4 of them included inside.

Shit.

Shit-Spattered Dog said:
zion said:

Cheers.

Look around for a Dlink "604+" wirelessrouter. I think that it is listed on the Australian Dlink's web site.Or do a goggle search.

I have an used one here sitting beside me. It is a wireless router with 2 rj45 ports and a integrated ("build in") adsl function. Plug a phone line into back than into the wall phone line jack causes the adsl light to lite. If that's what your looking for.

You will first need a adsl account (ie port) usually from the phone company. After you signed up they will attach an adsl port in line to your normal dial tone port. Than you will need to use adsl filters on your remaining phone jacks. The box I have has 4 of them included inside.

Shit.

Thanks. My account with True is already set-up. The easiest and cost effective solution was to simply purchase a regular non-wireless adsl modem that uses RJ45. To that i connected my wireless access point. Does the trick. Cheers.

Archived