[pattaya is a ghost town...

keith doug

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the popular bars and go-gos like Peppermint are packed year round. Several bar owners told me that business is down significantly from last year. Also, no prob getting a hotel room. There is definitely a different feeling in the air, not the same party buzz as before. I know I keep focusing on this, but the new airport's impact on Pattaya will be very interesting.

Gadfly1 said:

I wonder if the new draconian policies are starting to make a serious dent in tourist arrivals (the government will never publically admit this). I was in Singapore last week, and several ex-pats I am very close with who used to come up to Bangkok every chance they got now say Thailand has really lost its appeal.

All this gloom-and-doom talk about "killing the goose that laid the golden eggs" is utter self-serving hogwash. There's a new, bigger goose on the block: China. And you'll notice that Walking Street is full of Asians whereas a few years ago it was all farangs. New TAT budgets are largely targeted at Asians. They come on packaged tours and enjoy packaged entertainment, esp. karaoke.

Read and heed:

TAT exceeds visitor target of 12 million

BANGKOK: -- Over 12.4 million foreigners have visited Thailand this year, in excess of the Tourism Authority of Thailand?s (TAT) target of 12 million, TAT Governor Juthamas Siriwan revealed today.

Mrs. Juthamas said that the TAT had been successful in achieving its target figures despite a limited budget.

Next year the TAT is to attract foreign visitors with a campaign entitled ?Happiness on Earth?, while domestic tourists will be told that no other country matches Thailand in terms of its tourism attractions.

--TNA 2004-12-22

Gadfly1 said: ...

Next year the TAT is to attract foreign visitors with a campaign entitled ?Happiness on Earth?, while domestic tourists will be told that no other country matches Thailand in terms of its tourism attractions.

--TNA 2004-12-22

I think that would have to be amended to "...no other country to which Thais are allowed to travel freely matches Thailand in terms of its tourism attraction."

I't just may be possible that England, the United States, Spain, France, etc., each have more and better attractions.

Hell, it's likely that Washington, London, Paris and Barcelona alone each have more.

I was in a physical massage in pattaya that charged 400 baht per 2 hours and the package group that came in shortly after I arrived received the grand savings of 600 baht for a 90 minute massage... I keep trying to get these great deals...but, Fail!

SkiBum

SkiBum said:

I was in a physical massage in pattaya that charged 400 baht per 2 hours and the package group that came in shortly after I arrived received the grand savings of 600 baht for a 90 minute massage... I keep trying to get these great deals...but, Fail!

SkiBum

I used to get my Pattaya Thai massages (no hanky panky) at Sukvet on Soi 6 at 200B for 2 hours (200B total, not per hour!). This place serviced the tour bus crowd and the girls hated it because they hardly ever tipped and they got paid the same (100B) even though the place was collecting 500B per head from the tour operator (I imagine the tour operator was then charging them 800B or more). Sadly, this place closed and Silom Sauna on Soi 3 raised their price to 300B for a 2 hour massage. I hate paying "tourist" prices-LOL.

Ranger

No kidding...me too...

Silom stoped giving foot massage and the 100 baht massage is gone per hour...their room aren't really that clean either! Sounds like a miss

Ever been to Nakula sauna?

SkiBum

Archived