5 Year Long Stay Visa may be in the works

rickfarang

You are correct. This 'new' visa program is nothing new at all.

If you look at thailands immigration policy, the perminent resident visa program has been in place for years. You must have a continuous 3 year visa then apply for perminent residency, but even with this visa you must 'check in' with immigrations.

The Elite Card: yes, you CAN own property. But, it has to be in the Elite Co.'s name. It sounds even riskier than using the thai board members to make up the majority of your own company option.

This is another pipe dream to lure farangs into spending uneeded baht into a country that, while great, is fast 'developing' (or regressing) into a westernized place, with all the rules and laws---but farangs have NO rights.

Happy Holidays, by the way.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"red"]The Elite Card: yes, you CAN own property. But, it has to be in the Elite Co.'s name. [/color]

As you stated, individuals can NOT own property, we do agree, just in different words. Also strongly agree that it sounds riskier than setting up your own company.

I am very uncomfortable and weary with these schemes and it seems that with this government, the schemes seem to concentrate on money, money and money. :(

Jasmine

Totally agree Jasmine, it would be a mistake for someone to think the elite card allowed owning land. I have over time run across 2 terms and conditions:

1. Thailand Privilege Card Co, as a Thai-owned entity, retains proprietary ownership of properties that cardholders buy, but the cardholders can enjoy lifetime use of their land and properties, including renting their units out when they are not in the country.

2. Cardholders must build a new residence on the property valued at not less than 20 million baht.

Talk about a shady deal! However, I just visited their web site and don't even see property ownership listed anymore. Instead they have something called "special priviledge in property investment opportunity" that you have to contact them to learn about. That sounds even shadier, particularly that "special" part.

thalenoi said:

stupid gullible farangs :devil:

yep.

like me.

was at the suan plu immigration today.

they apologised, said that the immigration officer was misquoted in the interview with the newspaper.

no 5 year visa.

Yes gullible farangs and poor newspaper reporters. The five year visa is nothing new, and has been part of the Permanent Resident visa program. It's been around for years:

"There seems to be an impression that Thailand is about to issue a "Green Card" similar to that used in the USA - which is _not true_ although Thailand does issue a separate booklet under the Permanent Residence Program, which is used very much as a Thai ID card, and is good for five years. "

flyonzewall said:
thalenoi said:

stupid gullible farangs :devil:

yep.

like me.

was at the suan plu immigration today.

they apologised, said that the immigration officer was misquoted in the interview with the newspaper.

no 5 year visa.

>>>that Thailand is about to issue a "Green Card" similar to that used in the USA <<<

they did though at one time about 30 years ago. i know a few farang who got their permanent residence permits at that time, and along with that came also a lifelong workpermit.

[color:"red"] Talk about a shady deal! However, I just visited their web site and don't even see property ownership listed anymore. Instead they have something called "special priviledge in property investment opportunity" that you have to contact them to learn about. That sounds even shadier, particularly that "special" part.

[/color]

It is very sad to me to see these shady deals and somehow, "farangs" who are sincere are lied to. I am not proud about this of Thailand. A Thai man told me once (without caring) that the deal was for the money and any inteeligent human can see that, if there ones who cannot see, they are stupid". For me that is a cop-out.

As a Thai-born, but literally grew up in the West, I am more gullible than regular Thais, however, I can tell you that dealing with anything of values, ones must be very careful with the Thais, period. Even wives/husbands change completely when it comes to money :(

Jasmine

[color:"red"] they did though at one time about 30 years ago. i know a few farang who got their permanent residence permits at that time, and along with that came also a lifelong workpermit.

[/color]

Those were the days that the "farang" were considerred "quality personnel" Fly. I have an old teacher who taught me in the 9-10th grade who has the permanent resi. card, also does his American wife. These 2 have done tremendously for the communities they live in. :)

The Thai government has not viewed the "farangs" as good quality as it used to be, and I for one, do agree that not all "farangs" have desireable qualities. Some of them, no country xhould let them in (sorry to say it) but you know what I mean. :(

Jasmine

Archived