5 Year Long Stay Visa may be in the works

rickfarang

Immigration boss explains new visas

Much less paperwork for some farangs

PATTAYA: -- Head of Pattaya?s immigration bureau, police colonel Ittipol Ittisarnronnachai, has announced that the foreign holders of some long visas will no longer have to provide mountains of paperwork every year. Once registered, they will be cleared for entry and exit for up to five years on a case by case basis. However, they will still need to obtain a re-entry permit if they do decide to leave the country.

To qualify for the new fast track facility, foreigners must hold a non immigrant visa, any type, and show that they have been ?living? in Thailand for the past three years. The most obvious way of demonstrating this is to have held consecutive one year extensions authorized by the immigration bureau. Police colonel Ittipol said there were six categories of people eligible to transfer. These included farangs with a Thai spouse, those with a Thai dependant, retirees, substantial investors, work permit holders and special categories including diplomatic personnel.

Ittipol added it was not compulsory for eligible people to change to the multiple years? option. They could continue making annual applications as in the past. Although the detail is still settling down, it is understood that applications for the multiple year visa can be made only in the Bangkok immigration headquarters in Soi Suan Plu (Sathorn). However, Pattaya immigration officers will be able to provide further details of the new system which bears some similarity to ?green card? options operating in some parts of the world.

Applications have to lodged in the second half of December 2004. Otherwise you have to wait until late next year. Police colonel Ittipol explained that the fast track notion was designed to simplify visa life for long term farangs who had shown by their immigration record that they were contributing significantly to Thai economic and financial strength or had ongoing family responsibilities. He concluded that it was the aim of the immigration bureau to create a safe environment for all foreigners in the kingdom and that included a privileged status for the long stay residents as defined.

--Pattaya Today 2004-12-16

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>Applications have to lodged in the second half of December 2004.

Now why do they do that. It means you have to do it NOW, get all the paper work etc, and do it right away. Particularly pissed off as I qualify, but leaving Thailand for three weeks tomorrow!!!

-j-

>Is it just TRT propaganda before the elections?

I don't think so. Simply as we can't vote.....(OK, spouces could, but even then, would think the numbers are too low..).

I get a tiny, tiny feeling that what is going on is a "refining" of entry policies. I think the "valuable" members (I make no value judgement here myself) are going to find thing easier over time, but the others are going to find it harder. Those relying on "visa runs" etc are just going to find life getting more and more difficult over time.

I agree lots of questions remain to be answered. But hey, this is thailand. Whoever said it was gonna be simple?

-j-

Yes, and there is a substantial fee involved with this visa. It sounds like the perminent residence visa that is allready established. Look on the thai immigraition website for further details.

Archived