Cent saved my Life (Part 2)

Ckrisg

Part two is the ramblings of an Englishman, who on several previous visits to Thailand never left Bangkok. I hope that I convey what life is like in a Thai Village, although it has been done before and better (so thanks to Cent and others for the invaluable guide, Cent a Beer Chang next time I'm in Bangkok - Christmas I hope)

So after establishing that Pichau is the equivalent to Bognor on a rainy day, it was time to meet the family. After a visit to the market, which was mayhem at 5 o'clock in the morning, we load up with groceries, drink and meat.

All piled into the pickup along with several others we seemed to meet along the way, its off to the house. After about two miles, several drop offs, no one seems to pay, and twenty or more scaby dogs we hit base. Wow its a shock to the system, the house is neat with several rooms, a shower house and land, although the front room is the brothers garage, seems he's the village mechanic currently dismantling three mopeds and several engines.

Greetings all round, mother, father, sisters, brother, kids, kids, kids, exchange presents. Everyone takes theeir present away and puts into a cupboard (open later I suppose). Mother and Father seem distant, ok no english and very limited thai on my part, but appear unfriendly, no problem darling, they like you.

After a quick shower and change its time to explore Uttaradit, local taxi mafia provide car, 500 baht all day (good deal!!!). Girlfriend and I get in and so does six thais all dressed in Sunday best, is this really the same people who one hour ago mulled around in jeans and t-suits with more holes than a soccer net.

Wow the countryside is neat, hilly and green, the pickup makes good progress dodging various wildlife and buffoles. First stop the iron mines, 2 baht admission, no double pricing here (have they not heard, farangs pay more)not much to see but family enjoy, ice creams and pictures all round.

We eat, for the first time and move on to the National Park, kids really enjoy here, although for me its like a day in the Lake District (nice views but bugger all else)couple of hours here and I see or I shit myself when we meet my first Thai snake, where is that guy who grabs them before they reach you, shit its going over my foot, howls of laughter as Farang nearly faints, only to be told baby not poisonous. Can someone please provide a colour coded list of Thai snakes just for me.

So enough of the wildlife lets visit the Sirikit Dam I suggest, back to civilisation, ok but we eat first (what again).

Part three will follow if anyone wants to read it, let me know, as I'm afraid sanuk is dead in Pichau and I'm sure you guys don't want to hear about my bedroom antics under the mossy net.

Chris

[ October 03, 2001: Message edited by: Ckrisg ]

Archived