should i still go to phuket?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thalenoi said:

>Lives that had no insurance back up plan or safety net

Good question, do insurance companies cover natural disasters such as earthquakes or typhoons?

I doubt it and how many shop owners have insurance contracts?

bad times for many.

In the US, I think you have to have a separate policy to cover floods.

Whether or not people had inusrance, getting Thai insurers to pay up will be a different matter. During the 1992 Northridge quake, many insurance companies went tits up and didn't pay.

It said on the News that the airport was shut and flights to Phuket had been cancelled.Don't know what things will be like next week though.Anyway I assume you'll be flying into Bkk first so it will be easy to change location once in Los eg Samui or Pattaya just down the road.

Guys,

OK, I can see the wisdom in wanting to help, but I still maintain that Phuket will be a major relief effort for at least a fortnight, and thats assuming no aftershocks.

News services are now starting to concentrate on things like the risk of contagion : dead bodies + tropical heat + raw sewage = disease. My advice is to donate some money to whatever aid agency you feel can do the most good, and stay well away from the area until the 'All Clear' has been given.

Just my two bahts worth.

Artie

100% with you on this one!

The Phuket International airport is open since last night. Tourist leaving as fast as possible...

Fly your favorite BG to BKK for a vacation...give back to the BBG's.

SkiBum

artiew said:

Guys,

OK, I can see the wisdom in wanting to help, but I still maintain that Phuket will be a major relief effort for at least a fortnight, and thats assuming no aftershocks.

News services are now starting to concentrate on things like the risk of contagion : dead bodies + tropical heat + raw sewage = disease. My advice is to donate some money to whatever aid agency you feel can do the most good, and stay well away from the area until the 'All Clear' has been given.

Just my two bahts worth.

hi Artiew

Good advice...same as latest from OZ....postpone all travel to these destinations till further notice.

Confirmed two Australians dead.

Got in contact with a family (clients of mine)staying at Holiday Inn...high up and watched the wave come in...flew out to BKK today lunch time.

this really is a tough one to answer.

some scandinavian tour operators still flew (desperate) charter tourists into phuket sunday & monday, but by now as the full picture is unfolding I think few are arriving & loads departing as it stand & will for weeks...

still us true thai affectionos could benefit the locals by visiting just don't expect your usual happy go lucky phuket to be there anymore untill months I'm afraid.

aid is more than welcome for sure, but not ure how the average tourist could help much though as I heard accounts of the PM even stating farangs not welcome as they needed to 'clean up'

I was planning leaving for Phuket today with wife and kids.

But given the recent occurance, there is no way we are going.

And besides I believe the last thing the locals need right now are more tourists pouring in - not that that is likely to happen - and complicating the situation. My guess is that they have their hands full for quite some time to follow.

The situation in Khao Lak further to the north of Phuket is even more chaotic, and tour operators from Denmark are having a hard time to get any informations at all about their guests in this general area.

My Travel has cancelled their flight to Phuket scheduled for leaving today and probably more to follow.

They have 170 guest in Phuket right now and out of those 130 have decided to leave the island ASAP.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

It is ridiculous to even contemplate going to Phuket as a tourist right now.

The place is a disaster area and there could also be serious health issues due to sewerage and contamination and dead bodies in the next few days and week ahead.

I am not sure why anyone would even ask such a question considering what has happened.

Archived