should i still go to phuket?

"I am not sure why anyone would even ask such a question considering what has happened." Zorro wote.

Well consider please that I posted this question just hours after the news came through and the scale of the tragedy was unclear, whereas you have had the benefit of days of hindsight. Still, I will allow you to claim the moral high ground you so obviously crave, my self righteous brother.

Many thanks for the considered replies of earlier posters.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The place is a disaster area and there could also be serious health issues due to sewerage and contamination and dead bodies in the next few days and week ahead.

Wow - that looks a lot like my post from a couple of days ago ::

All levity aside, Zorro, lets cut cotambear a little slack. He is correct in saying that it didnt look as grim initially - the first estimates of the dead that I saw were in the hundreds, not thousands - and he did have tickets booked etc. I'm sure that people still went to Bali in the weeks after the bombing - it wouldnt have been my choice, but we dont all have the luxury of rescheduling our one-holiday-of-the-year.

I agree that it seems a very badly thought-out post, but look back to the initial replies and you'll see that few anticipated the magnitude of death and destruction, and there is a post in the 'Tital Wave' thread which indicates that life is almost back to 'normal' at Kata Beach, even if Patong remains in ruins. None of this will bring back the dead, or comfort the survivors, but life has to go on.

I hppe the Island Tourism people make Sonkgran '05 the kick off. Make it a wonder festival and have the hotels marktet it right now! Sure there will be some construction but when haven't we seen alot of building in Patong. As for the north, that will be slowly!

last i heard was over 65,000 dead in the whole region,but with many 1000's still missing.

many people are not fortunate enough to be able to visit Thailand on a regular basis and a friend of mine flew to Phuket yesterday.

he has saved for a Year for a holiday and if he cancelled he would have lost all his money.

i don't know wether he got there,am waiting to hear from him but after the stories of the Thai Government asking tourists not to visit Phuket then i do not know what will happen to him.

as soon as i hear from him i will let people here know what the situation is in Patong.

he is not a nightowl and going with a long-term GF so not really hitting all the bars every night.

but he has promised to let me know what is going on.

Hi sayjann,

Don't drive yourself crazy. I have a friend who was just supposed to come back, and my initial gtg that i first met here???. Remember her? She opened a beauty shop on the west shore of Krabi. I'm scared shitless for them both.

We are alll in the same boat here. Just waiting for anything.

HT

• 3 weeks later...

I just returned from 5 days on Phuket (Patong Beach). I would say that if you were ever planning to go, now would be the time. They are dying for tourists out there right now. The beach looks great (not a single chair or umbrella) and with the exception of beach front road, you would never know there was a problem.

Even beach front row has been cleaned immacuately. There are several resteraunts open on beach road and they have placed tarps across all of the storefronts that are being repaired.

It is really amazing what they have done in such a short period of time. I talked to the owner of Savoey and he said they worked non-stop for 9 days straight to get the place open. He has pictures from the day after the Tsunami and its hard to believe they could have acomplished that in only 9 days.

Did you ever want to go to Maya Bay but didnt like the idea of spending your day with serveral thousands other tourists? Well, I spent the day on the beach there by myself! I went to Ko Khao Tapu and when they normally see up to 6 thousand tourists a day, there were a total of 16. The highlight of that trip was seeing that fat Aussie falang bitch who couldnt keep her mouth shut :: while the local longboat driver spoke of the history of the region, fall flat on her face while exiting the boat :):D

I think the impact registered about a 5.0 on the richter scale.

Anyhow, it was a pretty amazing trip, speaking to a number of locals and hearing their stories of survival and loss. For those intersted in the bar scene, the number of girls far exceeds the number of tourists and it was no problem drinking well into the night.

The highlight of that trip was seeing that fat Aussie falang bitch who couldnt keep her mouth shut fall flat on her face while exiting the boat

LOL ! If only I'd been there - I'm sure I speak for most Aussie males when I say that we would have laughed loudly and openly, no matter how inappropriate it may have seemed. I'm not sure what it is (cheap airfares) but we seem to export some of our most obnoxious specimens, and it gives us all a bad name. I'm sure the American board members can relate - how many times have you cringed when you've heard a countryman begin a loud conversation behind you, and steadily watched eyes narrow and brows furrow as the other travellers attempt to tune the bastard out ?

Archived