Accessing website of USA banks in BKK.

I recently had a problem while traveling in the US.

The computer I was using (a friend's home machine) could not access my bank's website.

Apparently the browser version did not support 128 bit encryption and this was required to gain access.

Will I be able to access from most BKK internet cafes?

Which I guess means do they have recent computers that support 128 bit encryption?

Don't know. Isn't it something that is dependent on certain 'certificates' that one can download when needed?

In any case, you have to realize that Thailand is not very advanced when it comes to on-line business. It's not very far behind either...but it's just not advanced. Needless to say, most Thai people have no use of the latest Internet gizmos....

I got my question answered, a guy on another board posted that he has used his Washington Mutual ATM card at BKK ATMs so should be no problem.

If anyone else is wondering, i guess its no problem.

The internet cafes started supporting 128 bit encryption several years ago (around 1999 or 2000 if memory serves). I remember this because one of my banks is Washington Mutual and they switched to 128 bit encryption without notice, leaving me is travelling S.E. Asia with no practical way of downloading the 128 bit browser -and at that time, it was illegal to do so outside the U.S. or carry it out on a hard drive, for that matter. But I digress...

But, right now, all you need is the account name and password to get into the accounts at most banks and brokerages, so it would be wise to forgoe the internet banking in favor of good old-fashioned telephone banking (in accordance with lopburi3's advice). Unless of course, you can use a trusted friend's computer.

• 1 month later...

Don't forget the importance of "cookies" which can also have as much importance as 128 bit encryption. Since you were using a friends computer your "cookies" would not be on that machine.

I have never had any problems connecting to serveral banks in the US and I am not convinced yet that the key loggers thing that everyone is worried about is that critical of a problem.

I mean if you walk into a internet cafe that has 30 or 40 computers is it really practical to have someone "key logging" all of them. I would just pick the computer I wanted to use and then tell the operator which one I would want and not let them steer me to a particular machine.

Also check out the prices of key loggers and they are not that cheap.

But, I would keep my sessions short and make different transactions from different machines and flush the cache after your finish your session.

There are always cetrain risks no matter what you do. I am still amazed that I have not gotten run over trying to cross Sukumvit at Nana.

Archived