Gooner Corner - gone

frogpatrol

I see that Gooner Corner, a thread that I started about three years ago, has been deleted, or at least moved to the archives. This was one of the longest running and largest threads on the board (along with the Indonesia one), so some sort of eulogy is in order.

It is safe to say that Gooner Corner (RIP), had its share of great entertainment over the years. We witnessed Arsenal's FA Cup wins, a thrilling, undeafeted campaign, beautiful, flowing footie, and now, more recently, Chelsea's rise to the top of the table (ugh).

But, too, who can forget the Sayjaan wars with our favorite Man City poster Kobe Ringpiece (banned), and Stevo's emergence from neophyte (e.g., "Jap Stamm is a striker") in 2003 to pundit (e.g., his exhaustive match reports of 2004-5)?

And there was also Kiwi Racha, the orginal Arsenal hater who taught his 3 year-old "Arsenal no good" songs and bashed Arsenal at every moment. And who will forget, in perhaps one of the most heated moments on the thread, KMan (Gooner, through and through) and I standing strong against an onslaught of Arsenal bashing after the "RVN the Wanker" vs. Arsenal incident. Keown is still my hero. Footnote: Oddly, we have had the best disciplinary record since.

Do any other Gooner Corner moments come to mind?

LOTS (far too many to name - you know who you are) of people have posted over the years, and thanks for making it a good read for so long.

It is now time to move on and create Gooner Corner 2 (or better yet, just a footie thread?), and who better to do so than Chocco Steve himself (with loyal sidekick Sayjaan)? Surely, noone posts here more than these two.

I say, over to you, lads.

"Chocco Steve Corner" may be coming to a web site near you! :elephant:

froggo

sorry to hear the sad news Froggo.....

the Gooner Corner thread has always been my favourite Thread and over the time i have contributed there have been many great comments and conversations.

i feel i became good friends with many people i have never met and that is why Forums are a great thing..... :elephant:

i was a relative newbie to this Board when i had my war of words with dear old Kobe,but at least i outlasted him..... :yikes:

but then he was replaced by another Member who has become my nemesis......a person i think as a good friend,Chocco Steve..... :beer::worship:

i have rarely agreed with Steve(or any other non United supporter),after all only Utd Fans really understand the beautiful game.... :cover:

but the banter between us and most other people was good natured and it was a fun place to post with our views on many aspects of the game.

i respect all supporters of other Clubs and view their comments with interest and hopefully people like me being around as well....... :wave:

i agree with you that we should still have a general Football thread.

after all we get comments from people like Zaad and CBK who follow the PL but also comment on their own Countries Leagues.

if KS is agreeable for us to start a new Thread then i would be happy to start a general one with a few simple words.

or shall i leave to my nemesis Steve?.......:worship:

i think we still need a similar thread,after all how can i keep people up to date with the Albanian 1st Division?....... :yay:

gene1944 said:

What is a gooner?

This is what we call Sayjaan's offspring :)

Or, I suppose, someone who supports Arsenal F.C.

I agree with your sentiments exactly, Sayjaan. I've too met some fine people here as a result of that thread.

Limbo and Sayjaan - agree again. Some sort of footie thread is in order.

froggo

Froggo,

Seems to me you've already started a new Gooner thread anyway ..

As for memories, I think you've mentioned 2 things that stand out for me. Of course "The Batle Of OT" was a favourite, I can look back at that with a smile now, me and thee against the world.. Pretty standard Arsenal fare really .. Wasn't funny at the time tho'

The other was, for the first time in my life, getting verbally abused by a 3 year old .. Nong Racha. You taught her well mate :banghead:

Hope you all on the island have a Happier New Year :up:

Tomorrow is another year, so champagne for Baht Man and 3points at The Valley will do rightly for starters ..

Up The Arse :beer:

Cheers

K.

Saiphon said:

It doesn't seem "gone" on my screen - still very much alive but just no postings for a few days.

Shit, you are right. My default was one week and I thought it left along with the Indonesia thread. Or maybe Khun Sanuk did some prgramming which deleted one year plus threads, but then brought them back to life in the interim with fancy programming?

Anyhow, I guess a new thread is in order. We await that one - you know who.

Yes, KMan, the memories.... and the FA Cups too.

Archived