Has the Tsunami put Thailand on the tourist map?

SiamIAm

Has the Tsunami put Thailand on the tourist map?

You bet it has. At least in the US context of things.

It's true. Only 15% of Americans own a passport. And those that do? The vast majority go to Europe. France (7 million last year??)....and lately Spain (even greater).

What did most Americans think of Thailand before this? Well...most will tell you of the golden Triangle, and ensuing drug trade. If you get caught there, you will live the rest of your life in a horrible Thai prison. The world's heroin comes from this area. Then there is the world's AIDS problem, which most will tell you, originated from LOS. Rampant prositution and human child trafficking, are just the latest.........

Don't believe me? Then think again....

95% of Americans could not find Thialand on a map, if a gun was put to their heads. Ask any of them if there is a civil war going on there, and 98% will just not know. I swear to God, this is the truth.

America is a continent, unto itself. The average American knows "NOTHING" about anything outside of their small world, and certainly beyond their own continent.

Is that their fault? No. Their only knowledge of the world, is that which is presented to them. It's not like otherwhere, where a day trip can find you in another country, like in Europe. To experience another culture from here, takes exstrodinary amounts of money and time. Unlike most other places on earth. Americans are pretty secluded on their continent, in which they live. We are actually pretty remote from the rest of the world, at least as is dictated by distance.

So why did they give here?....because its not some strange concept to them anymore. 10,000 dead in Syberian earthquake????.....Pretty meangless unless you can see it.

And that is what happened here. We can see. The whole world can see exacty what happened. The bodies, the lost kids without parents. The heroics of individuals, and the outrageous pain of others.

Americans aren't rushing to the gift giving centers because a few Americans were lost. They are there for the same reason citizens are rushing there, all over the world. This wasn't a self-impossed disaster due to a declared war. This was just shit hitting the fan, that could happen to any of us.

Sorry....I digress. Putting Thailand on the map? You bet it did. What put it there? Not that the tragity happened to occur there....but revolves around every single account of the true nature of the Thai people coming to the rescue, at every turn.

It's truly unbeleivable. Every single person walking away from this, has gone away with an accute love of the Thai people. The Thai people didn't ask for this. They just responded in the best way they could. But my God......

They have commanded the total respect of so many now. In fact, the whole world.

You can bet your ass they are on the world map now!!!

It's by through circumstance. It's through so many people being touched by them, and just being who they are as a people. No one will want to visit Thailand now???

Guess again! What we think of our little find, had now been exposed to the world. At least in America, where before Thailand might have been looked at as a strange, dark culture in the US.... has been been brought to light to them.

Stick is right. This whole thing has put Thailand on the map, at least in the US context, and as such, I think has gotten rid of many preconcevieved notions here in the US. Time will tell, but the outrageous outpouring of love by so many, touched by the love and heart of the thai culture, will ....no....HAS put it on the map.

HT

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

OK on the map but I cant see Yanks spending hard earned cash on a holiday in a pile of rubble, thats the image they've seen and will identify with LOS for some time to come!

Hi LP,

Phuket is but a dot on the map of all of Thailand. And even at that, only 10 % of Phuket even got touched. I'm speaking of the awarness that the whole of Thailand has commanded worldwide. The average American doesn't know Phuket from Chiang Mai.

What the image is now here in US, is that thailand now has a good face. Other than the dark side that's always been presented to us.

I'm telling you....It's much different here, than in the U.K. We are completely stupid here, when it comes concerned to other nations. Truly ingnorant, in the exstreme. You have no idea!

From what is being feed to US, is nothing but a horrible distaster, but how great the Thai people responded. There is no way, US citizens will *not* be attracted there.

I can't fully explain it. But they will come. Phuket will be ok. Like I said in another thread....Give it 12 months, or less. You'll never know it happpened.

But saying that, do you want to know what a Thai lady who has not been back there in 20 years told me today in Honolulu????

I kid you not....She said she would not go back for 3 years. I asked her why? She said,"because air will still be bad". ???

I kid you not. ::

HT

I honestly don't know why one doesn't see more Americans (or Canucks) in Thailand these days. Maybe it's the economy. In the 1980s. I ran into far more North Americans in the Bangkok bars. Nowadays, a North American accent is far less common than in the past. On the other hand, Brits are coming in far larger numbers. Strong pound, I suppose.

Americans still do know about Thailand's nightlife though. I was an instructor for the US Army in the early 1990s, and all I had to do was mention Cobra Gold to get somebody sighing and longing to come back. I've met folks who joined the Marines just to come to Pattaya, which is a decidedly drastic way to go about getting here!

Flashermac said:

I honestly don't know why one doesn't see more Americans (or Canucks) in Thailand these days. Maybe it's the economy. In the 1980s. I ran into far more North Americans in the Bangkok bars. Nowadays, a North American accent is far less common than in the past. On the other hand, Brits are coming in far larger numbers. Strong pound, I suppose.

Americans won't go simply because of the time and expense involved. 2 full traveling days and $800+ airfarecombined with a paltry vacation time the average American receives. Mexico, the Carribean and even Canada offer better value from both a time and value perspective. Most Americans dream vacation is to go to Hawaii. Wait till Castro dies and Cuba goes Capiatalist, Americans will be down there in droves.

Maybe at best Thailand will attract the younger jet set American who is purposely looking for an exotic vacation where there won't be a ton of other Americans. Given the publicity that the Sports illustrated swimsuit model has generated, you may see the younger more affluent American going to Thailand.

Thailand is now a household name but getting there will be another matter.

The movie,"The Beach,"bombed at the box office and didn't make the impact on Thai tourism, especially Phi Phi Island, that many predicted.

The American television show, "Survivor Thailand", however, did a lot more to increase the awareness of Thailand to the average American.

Thailand is already attracting a lot of young males whom you would normally find in Ibiza. You can think the internet for that.

You're right about Cuba when Castro passes. It will become South Beach South, and I can only imagine the charter flights there from Miami, Tampa, and Orlando. P4P prices will jump through the roof. I can also envision a Major League Baseball franchise in Havana.

Archived