The Best Clinic in Pattaya

drlove

Dear Moderators: Could you leave this here for a few days please? I posted in Health a couple of weeks ago and have no response.

Board members once steered me to the best pharmacy in Pattaya. I guess I just saw the advice on someone else's post.

I want to get HIV tested, but don't want to go to BKK-Pattaya hospital as I did once. 1,200 baht and not anonymous. I have used a clinic for 400 baht a few times but it closed.

I have developed a paranoia about needles not being properly cleaned. This was also prompted by a recent situation at a Kaiser Hospital in California infecting several people with hepatitis from dirty needles. If it could happen there, it could happen in Pattaya.

I have no health problems but like to get tested regularly. I noticed at the clinic I used that the needles were sealed in plastic, presumably coming from a sterilization process. I think my worry is a bit over the top, but I want a recommendation for a clean, clean clinic that you trust.

Thanks.

Dr. Love

Hi!

Personally I'd stick with BKK Pattaya hospital and pay the higher price but get peace of mind.

Indeed a good piece of advice and one might also mention PIC on soi 4. It might be slightly more exspensive but has a good reputation.

regards

ALHOLK

Well thanks for the info but I don't want to go to a hospital. They are NOT anonymous, are they? I have had an HIV test at BKK-Pattaya Hospital in the past. I was in for a wierd skin condition and the dermatologist wanted me tested. Perhaps if you only go in for an HIV test and tell them "anonymous" they have that service available. I paid 1,400 baht for the test.

I've used three different clinics but the one I've used the last few times closed. Now I'd like to find another good one. I might also want to get a girl or two tested. So 400 baht is much better.

So, if anyone can recommend a good clinic in Pattaya, I'm still looking.

Speaking of anonymous, I saw that you had to bring your passport or other ID to donate blood for tsunami victims. I sure that kept a lot of people away. And...by the way...I'm fine! No worries.

Thanks,

Dr. Love

Like everybody says, stay away from th small private shit holes and even the ones that look clean. Went to one of the clean ones, got blood drawn, and a little bit of blood oozed out where I was pricked. No problem. The nurse cleared away the blood with her bare fingers. Talk about cross contamination!

There is a do-it-at-home oral HIV test kit advertised on the stickman weekly web site. US$29.95. You can do it in your own home, read the results for yourself, then discard the test and the packaging.

Its an oral swab, so no needles or breaking of the skin is necessary.

The banner ad is about 1/4 the way down the page, light blue background.

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/Weekly/weekly192.htm

Re pricing, about 3 months ago I took a girl to get an HIV test at Bkk-Pattaya Hospital. First at the reception area, they tried to get me to sign her up for a whole battery of tests, many of which had nothing to do with STD's and which would have cost a bit more than necessary. I insisted just HIV and they sent us off to talk to a doctor. The lady doctor was cool but also recommended she be tested for Syphillus which seemed reasonable to me. The total cost for both tests came to only about 1,000 baht. We waited about one hour for the results, and that was a stressful hour for both of us. I wondered how I would deal with it if she turned out to be positive. She was scared too. Fortunately the tests came back negative.

I must say that I was not impressed with the sterile techniques I observed. The nurse who drew the blood coughed right into the cotton ball or gauze pad she was about to use to wipe down the girl's arm before drawing the blood. Not very confidence inspiring. Otherwise, I thought the place was pretty nice.

Archived