Kids and all that

Hello dear folk,

Not the usual thing, this is about schools for my kids. It seems quite possible (in Phils and BKK) to spend 30,000 baht/pesos a month on a private school, even for toddlers.

That's a bit shocking 'coz I'm no longer corporate.

Is there anybody out there who would like to comment ? Are public scholls all horid (I would like to question that).

Both in Phils and LOS folk seem pretty focussed on the "right" schools and the most prestigious highschools and the most prestigeous universities and all that and I'm not quite used to it nor quite capable of understanding it.

There are some folk on this board living conveniently on a 6000 + US$ expat salary but I'm curious about "normal" (gg) folk, e.g. teachers (hmmm ...) or other low budget folk (like me currently) surviving at 1-2,000 US$.

Is it worthwhile to send your kids to really expensive schools ? Are public schools really terrible ?

Been to public schools all my life and understand zilch about all this "prestigious" this-and-that but my GF makes a big fuzz about it.

I feel like a money tree, still, after all those years. And sending my kids to an expensive private school doesn't seem to srve any purpose but allowing her to climb the "face" ladder.

It all seems rather silly and I'm getting a little tired financing her "face" ladder.

Thank in advance

4y/o in private Christian school KK.

Plenty of Mercs picking them up.

Mainly Chinese,military and police.

Seems to be ok (for Thailand).

6,000 baht twice yearly and

600 baht per month for extra tuition

from 3 to 5pm.

[ August 04, 2001: Message edited by: sinsin ]

It all depends on who you are.. Schools like the Triamudoms and satits are very good and cheap at about 10000 per year ( or is it a term?) But you have to be part of the boys club to get you kids into these schools.. The private catholic schools are ok. but still a thai education.. Cost about 25000- 80000 or so depending a level and school.

The international schools would be about 300000. Bilingual schools might be a better option. cheaper than international.

I dont have any kids and these figures are just from other teachers but it is a start

Entry into TriamUdom schools is VERY tightly controlled and buying your way in isn't possible, hence you get the brighter Chinese Thai kids from well heeled families but you also get teh brighter kids from the not so well heeled families too. This results in a bit of banter in the classroom concerning the socio economic state of certain students' parents.

quote:

Originally posted by Brink15:

Stick,

Where does Chitralada school fit in to this?

Just curious as I'm friends with some graduates and it's supposed to be prestigious.

Brink15:

Chitralada school was first founded for educating the King Bhumipol's children. All four of them went to the school. That's why it is situated in the Chitralada palace. Most of the students are a member of the royal family somewhat (Mom luang, mom rachawong). Some of them are children from rich Thai family (hi-so) whose families have long been served the country for some respect. Little of them are from "normal" Thai family.

So this school is a real "boys club" like "Satit" comparing with Triam Udom Suksa school. Triam (in short) has been regarded as the best high school in Thailand so far. Their selection process is tough and fair. Whereas Chitralada and Satit you have to know the right people to be able to get in.

[ August 04, 2001: Message edited by: BkkShaggy ]

I have two kids in Srivikorn. (Sukhumvit between Thong Lo and Prakanong.) About 25000 initiation and 50,000 annual tuition, books, clothes etc (paid quarterly). Thai scchool but very happy with it. Good English program, computers, basketball team etc. I'm sort of guessing at the prices because my kids stay in the dorms week and weekends and I spend about 90,000 per boy. Both boys came from Isaan and were nice kids but pretty lazy, ignorant and undisciplined. Couldn't speak Thai too well. I have noticed a MAJOR improvement in the last year. When they stay with me for the holidays I can hardly get on my own computer don't watch as much TV ,etc.

I just placed my 3 1/2 year old daughter in St Johns anubaan. 20,000B per term. 2 terms per year.

They have an English program at the school, Bell's.

A Computer room (in the anubaan.)

All parents of new pupils have a 1/2 hour meeting with some senior people in the school after a few days of the child being there. It is a Roman Catholic school but receives no funding from the church.

During the interview they asked me what I thought of her learning in a Thai enviroment, my reply was Knowledge is knowledge irrespective of the language.

He then asked why I had placed her there now, at her age. I told him I thought it was in her best interest to get into somewhere where she was going to learn social skills with other children, I'm not interested at the momentt in wether she can read or write. At 3-4 years old thats not important. At home she only had her younger sister to play with so contact with her peers was missing.

My daughter loves it and wakes me up in the morning saying School, School. When we drive past there she tells me it's her school.

This last week she hadn't been to school for a few days cos she was sick, they phoned to ask after her and let us know that Friday morning the the slightly older kids were putting on a show for parents and they would have half term for a week. The place was full of Mercs and obviously doting wealthy parents who want a good education for their children.The show was very entertaining fom what I saw, unfortunately I had a meeting to attend and couldn't stay long.

Every two/three weeks we receive a report that of her behaviour and are asked for our comments. The rooms are air conditioned and there are security guards all over the place. One at every gate, one at the entrance to the anubaan and a couple roaming.

She comes home with pictures she has had to colour in, every week.

They have P.E. Singing and dancing classes. In only 6 weeks she has come on leaps and bounds.

I also now ( for the last 3 months)look out for a friends step son who is in Pensmith school just off of Ramkamheang, he has been there for 2 years and from what I can gather he is a totally different child to two years ago. He was behind the standard for there and is now catching up rapidly. He stays at the school during the week and with me at weekends if he chooses to, he is polite and helpfull. No-one other than myself or my wife can take him out of the school at any time, obviously excluding his mum and stepdad. His Uncle tried to take him out a few weeks back and was refused access, the Uncle previously received money to pay for the school fees and a sum to look after the child and never paid the fees, never gave the boy pocket money or bought clothes for him. so this was obviously spite in trying to take him from the school for non reason.

A few years ago I also used to teach English a few mornings a week at a girls school, I'll look up the name later. The girls there were highly motivated and ere from good families. A number of girls had lived overseas with their families, they even had a student exchange scheme with a school in N.Z.

Not the usual thing, this is about schools for my kids. It seems quite possible (in Phils and BKK) to spend 30,000 baht/pesos a month on a private school, even for toddlers.

Thanks a lot for the replies, bottom line seems to be I should be able to find something pretty decent at 4-5000 B a month.

I have worked at boith Dream Udom schools (the elite Government schools) and Satit schools (the elite university run schools) and I can confidently say that the quality (?!) of education is not that high. What is perhaps of more of a concern is that I also know people who work in international programmes and even a couple at international schools and while in some cases, I hear the international schools are supposed to be quite good, what I have seen doesn't inspire me with confidence.

International school / international programme fees at 300,000 baht a year are a joke. For 160,000 baht equivalent a year, one could send their children down to New Zealand or I believe Australia, both of which have great school systems. Another 200,000 or so baht would easily cover other expenses and the kid would get a great education. I siomply do not know how these local schools can justify their costs...

I quite simply wouldn't consider sending a kid to an international school in Thailand because from what I have seen, the qulaity of education is poor, or the costs are exorbitant, or in some cases, BOTH!

The question of educating your kids in Thailand is a tough one - if you have to pay the bills yourself.

Stick

Archived