Rules for using/not using sara a

Pescator

Is it just me, or are the no specific rules as to which sara a one should use when spelling a specific thai word?

Or when one should leave it out altogther?

ÊÇÑÊ´Õ ʡŹ¤Ã µÃ¡éÃÃ

I supplied some random examples above to illustrate.

Sawasdee Sakon Nakon Dtagror (I used what I believe is the general transliteration)

Would anyone care to offer an explanation of the rules, if there are any, for I am certainly not familiar with those and have to rely on my memory to get the spelling right.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

hehe, why am I not surprised :)

That was also my impression.

I also posted this question because I regularly hear people saying that "thai spelling is predominantly consistent".

That is not really my impression although one could always put different values in the word predominantly.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

I'll have a tentative go. If the syllable has no final consonant, you don't need sara a (first syllable in ÊÇÑÊ). If the syllable does have a final consonant, you do need it (second syllable in ÊÇÑÊ, because otherwise you'd have a short sara aw sound). Both the sara a's in ʡŹ¤Ã are in the first category too.

µÃ¡éÃà is trickier. My guess is that it's used with prefixes: I don't know what µà signifies on its own, but that vowel only seems to be used at the start of words. The tone mark on the second syllable also seems to show that the two syllables are separable to some degree (or maybe were in the distant past).

Archived