Death row TV

chuckwoww

I can see this being popular....

Thai jail plans death-row webcam

A prison in the Thai capital, Bangkok, is planning to broadcast inmates' daily lives, as well as their final moments before execution, live on the internet.

Rights group Amnesty International has criticised the plan, which prison officials say will deter criminals.

A spokesman for the Bangkwang prison said the scheme will highlight the risks of drug dealing, which carries the death sentence in Thailand.

Almost 1,000 of Bangkwang's 6,000 inmates are on death row.

Thai authorities have mounted an aggressive campaign against drugs in recent years.

Thousands of people suspected of drugs offences have been killed during the crackdown, sparking criticism from human rights groups.

Amnesty International described the prison webcam plan as an infringement of human rights and called upon the Thai authorities to review it.

No date has yet been set for broadcasts from the Bangkwang prison, nicknamed the "Bangkok Hilton" by Westerners, but cameras are said to have already been installed.

Prison spokesman Nathee Chitsawang told the Associated Press news agency that the internet "will show how we treat convicts in their last minutes, including the preparation process".

But, he said, viewers will only see snippets of the final moments leading up to an execution.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4182199.stm

Hi chuckwoww,

>>>>>>A prison in the Thai capital, Bangkok, is planning to broadcast inmates' daily lives, as well as their final moments before execution, live on the internet.<<<<<<<

I'm against the idea of broadcasting executions, but can only think web cams in BKK Hilton would be a good thing, as long as were untampered with, and could not be controled (by guards, warden, or anyone else). Would certainly end much abuses, if any goes on there, including maltreatment of prisoners.

But of course, it will never happen.

I would think human-rights groups would be overjoyed with this concept. Could, in theory, keep constant watch over prisoner care, and insure the world, all were being treated as they should be. But no prison would ever allow this, much less BKK Hilton. It would open them up to 1,000's of lawsuits per year.

The same reason you will never see this in any prison, anywhere else in the world.

HT

Some of these concepts are just "Amazing". Where do they get these ideas?

Maybe HT has a point, that this would allow public overview of the inmates' care and well-being, but I doubt they would leave the cameras running after the first repercussions of an observed incident.

The prison staff will may realize this before the cameras are turned on (if this even gets funded), and put a stop to the whole plan. Only a guess.

But is seems like an idea that could only come form here.

rickfarang said:

Some of these concepts are just "Amazing". Where do they get these ideas?

Maybe HT has a point, that this would allow public overview of the inmates' care and well-being, but I doubt they would leave the cameras running after the first repercussions of an observed incident.

The prison staff will may realize this before the cameras are turned on (if this even gets funded), and put a stop to the whole plan. Only a guess.

But is seems like an idea that could only come form here.

Amazing? Not really. People are looking for extreme forms of entertainment these days. I bet somebody would love to get permission for a San Quentin reality show. It's just one step away from public executions...boy they used to draw the crowds on Tyburn Hill. :):(

• 4 weeks later...

Archived