DO you use buses/vans in LOS?

Zaad

Earthmen,

Question.. I hate using the bus or van as a form of transportation in Thailand. I just can't my head around the time tables, what bus or van number goes whereto??? And it's usually way too crowded..and hottt. BTW, I find those dark-mirror vans a little bit dodgy. :)

But worst of all is that people need to crawl under or jump over cars at times to become passengers of the bus of their choice since the invisible busstop seems to be somewhere on this middle of the road. ::

Well, fuck that I'm not going to play Indiana Jones in the middle of Thai traffic chaos.

My question, any of you guys playing this game?

I use the buses and the vans and have had no trouble.

As for buses, there is a route map with a booklet describing the routes for each bus. It is in Thai.

As for transportation, the buses can be a real bargain. For example, if I want to go from Pantip Plaza to Nana, I generally take bus 511 (there are other buses). This is a nice bus that is air conditioned. Cost of trip - 10 baht.

As for jumping over cars and playing Indiana Jones; I don't do that nor have I seen others do it.

After 1:00 AM I have seen it to be hard to catch a bus. If you are not standing out by the road, they generally fly by without stopping. That is about the only problem I have seen.

From what I have seen, rarely do falangs ride buses. The reason maybe they do not know where the bus is going.

I use the local buses occasionally, but only when I am not in a hurry. It's a great way to get lost and explore some new areas. As long as it's air con, it can be a pleasant ride.

The long distance buses can be quite the experience, also. I've posted a couple of trip reports where the bus plays a major role. See here or here.

For local bus and van info, try this site , which shows all of the bus routes.

It's a bit user unfriendly, but much better than asking (very user friendly, but wothless responses. Thai people just seem to want to give an answer, even if they don't know the correct answer! :grrr:).

The site also has some classic translations, such as:

Open Service bus operation for Lady Bus (Lady Bus)

BMTA opened bus operation for Lady Bus on 30 May 2000 to facilitate and build the safety in using buses service for lady. This is to be saved them from criminals who make a trouble to slash lady's handbag with a knife, steal the value property and money as well as to be saved them from having somone take the opportunity to molest lady passenger in buses. However, they will open Lady Bus operation in route of No. 16, 29, 34, 36, 22, 101, 126, 136, 2 and 11

and

BMTA arrange Culture Bus Operation (Culture Bus)

On 11 August 2001, BMTA open Culture Bus Operation service to arouse and revive good culture of Thai and to arouse good conscious mind in building good culture on bus journey. Nevertheless, these all buses seat will reserve the rights to children, lady, older, handicapped, Buddhist monks and novice which the gentleman must sacrifice seat for these people who get on busses and no seat. Then, the conductor and the driver will say "Thank You" and "Sawatdee" to the user with polite and respectful manners. Culture bus will run for service people in the route No. 16, 49, 74, 111, no.8, no.10, no9, and no. 80

Hi Zaad,

I use them all the time too, well that is outside of bkk anyway. And usually only on long hauls.

I Bkk I never use them due to the circumstances you mention in your post.

In bkk I cannot be bothered since there is such an surplus of hasslefree metered taxis.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Guest lazyphil

Have used them alot, VIP's bkk to Phuket, the cheapers ones on same route, bkk- Chaing Mai, bkk- Kanchanaburi, I really enjoy the overnight trips that stop in the dead of night at those big markets selling dried fruit etc and use the tokens to get a meal in the set areas. Used the city buses too, the number 5 yellow A/C bus from Pakkret to Silom is about 8 baht or something like this. Often take bkk buses with the mrs, the non A/C ones but have no idea about them its all in Greek.

I use the buses, sometimes just as quick as a taxi - especially those rollerskate green mini buse ones. Songthaews, as well.

The bus map is great and when you want to just sitesee en route to somewhere you can just hop on and off where ever you want and none of this "Sarf of the river? At this time, nah mate! "

I also sometimes use the 511 (air con) or 2 bus for Suk. to Pantip, but have you ever tried to get back on the 511?? Aparantly there are differant return routes and without knowing what the sign on the front of the bus says, you end up heading up Pechabury past the Suk. turn.

Is there a way other than learning to read Thai to determine which 511 to take back??

[color:"white"] WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW [/color] There are 2 [color:"green"] 511[/color] 's.

[color:"white"] WWWWWWWWWWW [/color]One is expressway, the other is not. You don't want the expressway.

[color:"white"] . . . . . . . [/color] :chili: [color:"white"] . . . . [/color] :chili:[color:"white"] . . . . [/color] :chili:[color:"white"] . . . . . [/color] :chili: [color:"white"] . . . . . [/color] :chili: [color:"white"] . . . . . [/color] :chili: [color:"white"] . . . . . [/color] :chili: [color:"white"] . . . . . [/color] :chili:

[color:"green"]

Archived