Laptop use in LOS..what do i need to Bring?

Torneyboy

Apologies for raising this topic from the ashes, but are there any internet cafes around that let you just plug a laptop into their network to access the net?

I also have a wireless card in my laptop, and would be interested in finding out where the local wireless 'hotspots' are.

Cheers.

Hi

i bought one for 180 thb.

The bad new was..it didnt work.

Called the 24hr hot line number...advised me it was a modem problem and to take the PC to a shop etc etc...as i was no where near a shop (up in the Jungle)..i gave up.

Samak

:neener:

Bkk B...saw a guy use his own laptop at a net cafe in a photo shop just up from the Asia Hotel.

I bought a CSLOXINFO card a little over a week ago and had major problems using it from the Nana Hotel. I only mention the Nana since that's where I used the card from -- I don't think that the problem in any way relates to the Nana.

The card had great instructions for setting up a modem under XP and other versions of Windows, and I was usually able to connect OK. But, mostly nothing happened after that. The best, and only, speed I ever got was 4.8K -- I don't know if this was the true speed, or some glitch with XP. It seemed that when the connection did work, the speed was reasonably fast.

The first time I used the card, I was able to access webmail like Yahoo, but very slowly. Eventually I couldn't even access the web at all, and Outlook Express never could find a host.

Usually this indicates a DNS and/or gateway problem. The instruction sheet gives recommended DNS & gateway settings, while another alternative is to just set all TCP/IP options to automatic. I tried both, several times.

It also seemed like only Internet Explorer would work at all, and my other browsers wouldn't work. But, eventually IE didn't work, either.

In any event, after the first day, I wasn't able to use the web at all. Maybe half the connection attempts failed, though usually if the connection was made OK, there was no trouble logging on. But once logged on, nothing could be done. There are at least a half dozen phone numbers listed for Bangkok, but none of them worked consistently, though I could always find one that at least connected.

Thus, the only thing that worked consistently with CSLOXINFO was the user name and password.

In thinking back, I probably should have tried another card from a different company, but I hated to waste my huge B133 investment. I'll sure never get CSLOXINFO again. There was no trouble using the Nana phone system itself (jacks in every room), and local calls were B3.5 each.

>>I don't think that the problem in any way relates to the Nana.<<

I wouldn't be sure about this ... typically low connection speed would indicate noisy-shitty line. Are you dialing 9 to get to outside? Then you're most likely going through Nana's PBX. In my previous experience, I would never get more than 28K connection on this type of scenerio.

That's why most people prefer direct line. Can get faster connection (except at my last condo - my "direct" line was dirtier than the condo line :cussing: ).

Other potential can be how your modem/network is setup ... less lkely case, since default settings should be ok for CSLOXINFO.

I've used CSLOXINFO in the past .. they have always been the fastest connection .. also probably most expensive.

typically low connection speed would indicate noisy-shitty line.

I monitored the modem handshaking sounds, and never heard any line noise -- in fact the line sounded cleaner than what I have in Las Vegas. I might well have been getting a 28K connection, or better, and I suspect the 4.8K indication to be bogus.

As I said, the problem wasn't making the connection, it was accessing the internet after the connection had been established.

If anyone wants to use what's left on my card, here is the info.

username: ata8113383@csloxinfo.com

Password: SPF5PBF2YK

I don't have the brochure that listed the Bangkok access numbers (which are the ones I used), but these are ones listed on the back of the card

0-2685-5000

0-2685-5999

0-2340-0888

0-2340-0889

0-2340-0999

0-2340-0345

One thing I can mention about using a laptop in thailand

I notice some potential from the mouse pad to the floor ( shock)

I don't think the 220 v system is grounded properly ( to consistant) standards in all buildings.

Archived