Laptop use in LOS..what do i need to Bring?

Torneyboy

Am going to Bkk in a week and need to take a laptop with me as i will need to do some bank transfers and other things.

Havn't needed to take one before so i need some help.

Will be staying in my wifes parents house at the Floating markets.

The phone line plug will be different so i guess i need to buy one in BKK before going up...what else do i need to buy to get internet working on dial up ?

Did a search in arc..nothing came up.

Ideas?

I assume you have a modem. The phone jack in Thailand is the small modular one like this:

phonejackdoneft.jpg

You will then need to get a internet card from the 7-11 or somewhere. Try to find one that offers an alternative to 1222 phone number as that one is busy quite a bit.

To use the card, create a new dialup connection. Use the login and password provided by the card. That's it.

Oh, you will prolly need a power adapter as the plugs in LoS are different than Oz.

Cheers,

SD

• 3 weeks later...

The "Bangkok Life" card is a good value for the money and in 4 months of use I never got a busy signal in Bangkok.

It worked just fine with the ordinary 56K modem built into my laptop. You don't need anything else except the user ID and password on the card. It is a scratch-off card.

I found "Bangkok Life" Internet cards at 7-11 and Family Mart convenience stores. If the cards are on display at all they will be on the wall behind the cash register counter - near the liquor bottles. But they might not be out on display - too easy to steal. Just ask for "In-tah-net" and the clerk will pull out a box of various cards.

You can buy as many cards a you need, whenever you wish. Use additional cards to re-fill the first one before it expires and you will get 10% additional time free.

Torneyboy said:

Am going to Bkk in a week

oh my Buddha, Torney, what a menace for all of us living here! ::

Torneyboy said:and need to take a laptop with me as

Thai Government do not allow to use laptops between 0900 and 1930 and 1800 and 0630

Torneyboy said: i will need to do some bank transfers and other things.

for bank transfers try the Nigerians around Suk Soi 3 :neener:

gawguy said:

How much are the cards...just curious...

Anywhere from about 80-500 baht. Just like the phone companies, many different plans, sometimes hard to compare.

The most common denominator is that the 1222 number cards generally have shitty connections, if you can even get through.

Archived