The Tyranny of Happiness

jagoturner

A golden light the width of a stiletto blade creeps through the tiny gap between heavy dark orange curtains. The sliver of sun catches a thousand flecks of dust that glimmer like gems as they pass through and lands a slim illuminating beam on her golden skin. She shifts in her sleep. Her breast still moving a fraction of a second after she has changed position.

I look at her. I understand the greed of wealthy men for whom it is not enough just to see beautiful things. I understand the desire to own beauty. Because I know that in just a few hours she'll be gone and that at this time tomorrow another man will be looking at her still and silent in her sleep.

She twitches as if shocked in a dream. And I wonder what pursues her through her subconscious world. The faces of a thousand men shifting, changing, confused identities. A thousand men all forming into one Frankenstein creation. That man's eyes, this man's nose, that man's penis. All sewn together into an amorphous shifting punter.

But fuck it. Her beauty is just a moment anyway. At nineteen she is the first golden dawn breaking over what may turn into a mediocre day. Maybe she'll be one of the rare ones who actually becomes more and more beautiful with each passing year. But this life can take its toll and youth can die as easily as that openness with which she kissed me.

Her eyes open and she looks at me deeply as if she had never been asleep. "Pen aray ?" she says in words just a fraction more than a whisper.

"Plao" I say. Nothing.

And her arms reach out to me and pull me close. She smiles "farang kit maak" and kisses my mouth. She kisses and kisses and soon it feels as though I never knew life without her. Her slender dark hands familiar against my white skin. As if she is the earth touching the sky. Soon my eyes are beyond seeing. I can only feel her. The softness of her skin. Her full breasts against me. Her thighs opening and pulling me into her. And the complete satisfaction of falling into the soft enveloping warmth of her cunt. It feels like coming home. The home that was before anything in this life. The true home. The place I belonged and owned without pain. Without doubt.

Her hands move over my back a nail distracts me as it tears at my flesh. She mouths my name once and then again. It is like a mantra. Something she says to assure herself or me or what we are doing here together in this intimacy. The name will call me into her, enslave me to her. There is no world. No place. No right. No wrong. No good. No evil. There is just this. Just us. She is the only woman in the world. There is no more. No need for more than this.

We do not move. She just holds me inside her. This penetration is just the end of the obstacles to intimacy. Nothing obstructs us. Nothing exists outside. We hold on as if time could disappear before the passions bring this to a fiery end.

This is the tyranny of happiness that makes the rest of life a meaningless charade.

I know this is all that matters and there's a tragic horror in that. Because I love her completely. I am her thing. Her baby. Her master. Her toy. And that is all. And that could be all. Only I know that when it comes to tonight I'll just be another fucking guy sitting in the bar.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived