The Poison Dwarf

jagoturner

Dan,

Sorry about the length but some come long and some come short. Some of my stuff for the pay site goes way over length too. One of the curious things about writing is on the first draft you never think you're going to make the basic word requirement and on the third draft you have to think about editing. You might not believe this but the story at the head of this thread is already edited and even then is a third of the story I set out to tell. Thanks for the kind words.

JCK,

84 pages. Damn. Stephen King does that before breakfast. I admire writers who can allude to things and the readers will know what is going on. I find it almost essential to try to tell as much about what is going on as possible without slowing up the pace. The whole reason I started writing about Bangkok was the need to tell it how it was for me in the hope that people would know what I was talking about. The more detail I include the more I feel I am able to do this. Thanks for the words. All feedback is always encouraging.

quote:

Stephen King does that before breakfast

Actually, it was only 70 pages in size 8 font. Stephen King, that man knows how to fill pages, not a big fan myself. He did write a good book about writing technique, which is also partly auto-biographical. Mind you, that's not much of a recommendation, I've read it and look at the drivel I post on here.

JCK,

I have mixed feelings about King. I think he's the victim of having written too much. At his best he is a very good writer and has written some books that I'd be proud to have written, published or not, but I think that his gems get lost in the sea of words. On Writing is a good book though even this is twice as long as it should be. But then some people have said the same about my stories so I should keep my mouth shut.

[ February 28, 2002: Message edited by: Alexander Turner ]

• 1 year later...

Better late than never so here goes ::

>> "Where are you going ?"

>> "Sorry. I forgot. I have to buy some stuff."

Talk about a classic who came hunting you back. great stuff. Just hit it on the nail :applause:

The whole thing overall just bring it all back even for me it was '98 & based at chart bar & guesthouse not far from hello as far as I remember? Likewise that bar is now no more & neither most of the 'gang'.

Wonder if you'd have any similar stories to tell from jalan jaksa too?

ib,

They are just notes to myself as to how many reads the post had to date, the number of times it has been reposted, (brought back from the dead) and the date it was reposted. I've noticed a bunch of posts that for one reason or another didn't seem to get much of a read over the years, not just mine but others too. When I have the time soon I want to start going through them all, from all the way back at the beginning of time, and recycle the ones I liked most. I have plenty by Ranger I think deserve another look by the members. Sometimes a blizzard of posts bury a post and it seems to get lost in the shuffle. I see quite a few older Alexander Turner stories with maybe 25 reads. I know the members like his stuff, so I'm recycling some of his, and will do others over time.

Cent

Archived