songran soon !!! emmmm

keith doug

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wear contact lenses. They are extended wear, special order toric lenses, double normal price and hard to obtain in Thailand.

Both the water and the powder are disaster if in my eyes, especially the god damn powder! The powder can scratch the lens or, if underneath, scratch the cornea.

The extended wear lenses are some 90% water or something like that and they tend to just wash away with a face-full of water.

Last year I had several job interviews and was apartment hunting during Songkran. Sheesh!

I found Thai people to be much more respectful of clothing/camera/special requests, whether they were young or older Thai. The jackass skinhead hooligan farangs were the worst.

At one point, I had to walk right next to a Thai pickup truck with barrels of water and a flock of people, buckets and guns in hand, in the back. I held out my hand and said, "Nit noi, na khrap" and one of the younger children merely sprinkled some water on my hand :up:

If someone really decides to stay in Bangkok during Songkran wheres the best place to not get soakin wet and white as soon as he leaves the place he stays? Are there any favourite spots for all the young thais to celebrate or is songkran mayhem taking place all over Bangkok City? Anyone?

previous poster:

Can Imagine how bad your eyes must have been.... Getting this powder in your eyes really hurts f**xin bad...

Christos,

its pretty much mayhem everywhere, its particularly boisterous where farangs hang out, you clearly would not want to be around Khao San Rd. You can expect to get wet so dress accordingly.You should be able to expect the festivities to cease around 6pm but there are farangs who just don't know when to stop, a couple of years ago there were a couple of real dick heads who placed themselves just by the entrance to NP right up until late evening, I'm surprised their heads were not cracked open by somebody.

JP

I don't mind getting wet once or twice but after that, it is really annoying. Last Songkran I had just changed clothes after getting a pail of water thrown on me. I had to go to Soi 11 from Nana Hotel for an appointment, knew I wasn't going to make it without getting wet. Got about half way there and then got hit by numerous water guns and water bottles, needless to say, I was soaked. Was a little bit perturbed but TIT. Wish they would cut out the water action after 6 pm, would be nice. Some abide by the rules and some do not. Now avoid Songkran, like Loy Krathong much better. Will celebrate it when I am there my next trip in Oct/Nov. :)

Bugger.

I arrive on the 11th and didnt realise it was Songkran.

Ah well. I'll buy a water pistol and some wrap around shades at Heathrow before I go.

Old Hippie said:

Hey, a party is a party, but the bit with the ink and the powder etc gets a bit much after awhile, but I do agree they nore less leave you alone if you have a camera or such out, anything that might get ruined. as stated the biggest problems are with the drunken farangs, but that is true here as well...er ah well you get the point... :)

You obviously have never been to Chiangmai during Songkran.

From 3 days before to 3 weeks after Songkran Day, the city is a war zone of drunken redneck farmers in pickup trucks driving around with barrels of the foulest klong water imaginable drenching anyone and everyone within range with buckets of stinking water.

Respect someone carrying a camera? OH PUULLEEEASE!!!

I was nearly knocked off my bike by a six inch fire hose with a pump lowered into the canal.

I have been hit with ice cubes, scalding hot water, had water thrown into open car doors. The one bit of consideration you might find is that it all comes to an end around sunset each day.

Archived