Kan Toke (northern style) Dinner

samak

this is for you residents in northern Thailand or guys, who frequently travel to Chiang Mai.

i have had a Kan Toke dinner years ago, so can not remember. well i know a couple of northern style dishes and also go sometimes to northers thai restaurants in Bangkok (there are unfortunately not as many)

of what does usually consist a Kan Toke dinner?

khaep moo (deep fried pork skin), that's the only i can remember

Sai Oua (northern style spicy sausage)

Laab nuea (nuea for northern not for beef; quite different than the Laab from Isaan)

Nam Prik Noom or Ong (chillie paste)

Gaeng Hanglee (Curry)

any other dishes?

thanks!

My wife is a northerner, and I can only recall once being at a kan tok dinner ... at a party. It's not exactly something northerners generally do! In the village, we simply sat on a mat on the floor, with the food in bowls placed on the mat. At my wife's own home, we sit at tables and eat western style.

But anyway, here is a link on northern food. You might have had any combination of these.

http://www.thailandlife.com/thaifood_north.html

p.s. I remember the first time I visited my mother-in-law and my wife announced she'd got something special for me. "It's the most expensive part of the pig, since it's only got two!"

Ohmagawd!!!

Fortunately, it turned out to be pig's ears. (Tasted like chewing on strips of rubber inner tubes.)

thanks Flash for the answer and the link. well pig ear is not so bad after all....

actually there are not many restaurants with decent northern food in bangkok. i know isaan food much better. how do you like northern in comparison with isaan?

any possibility to get some input from your wife on this Kantok stuff? or is this mainly a tourist trap in Chiangmai?

Archived