How much is the import duty?

Next week, I'm going to bring something into the country that is well over the 10,000 baht allowance. I have read on the customs website that I can play a "flat rate duty" if I can pay in cash on the day of arrival. The site does not say what the flat rate is. But, I want to make sure I have more than enough in my pocket so I can pay and leave with it.

Does anyone know what this rate it?

Thank you in advance

Yep...so true. Last Sept I returned from the States with 300-lbs (nearly 150-kg to the Brits) of luggage! I also had some electronic gear worth $1000's. Of course all the gear was in the luggage, not in original boxes that would alert the custom's officer that I had these valuables. I had declared nothing on the custom's form, and told the custom's official I had only personal goods. Not to worry just follow a Thai with a similar load of luggage and they just waved me through. I guess they didn't want either the Thai or me to congest the line of travelers awaiting inspection.

Good luck...

Flashermac said:

No idea what it is or how big. But watch the Thais returning from trips abroad with huge amounts of luggage. Notice how they never have anything in its original container .. and just smilingly waltz past the customs officials in the nothing to declare line?

Hi Rick

I brought in a laptop that was worth more than 10kbaht and asked an agent if I should declare it. He waved me toward Nothing To Declare. I watched a farang and family that had about 30 sealed boxes (apparently all came as baggage) go through Nothing To Declare with no problems.

zen

Z4D, I'm glad to see you made it back from your trip ok (assuming you are not writing from an internet cafe outside the country).

This isn't a laptop, in fact, it isn't the sort of thing that people carry around on vacation or usually use for personal use. Though I did not get the exact info I was looking for, I thank Nevrous_dog for reminding me that there are ATMs around the airport. I figure duty probably will be less than 20%, and my daily ATM limit is more than that :D

Hey, at least I managed to avoid paying sales & use tax in the U.S.

:D :D :D :D :D

• 2 weeks later...

To finish the story:

I showed it to the customs officer last night as I came through Don Maung. He asked what it was (how do you explain a digital storage 'scope?), if it was new (a week old) and if Iwas going to take it back out of Thailand (yes -eventually). "Then no need to pay." :)

Archived