Scrambled Thai Text

LingNoi

ÊÇÑÊ´Õ¤èÃ

Actually it's quite easy.

If you've got Thai fonts on your computer just open up Microsoft Word.

You can only do this with the number keys on the numeric keypad. You can't do this with the number keys above the alphabet keys on the keyboard.

So, make sure you have numlock on!!!

Okay, just hold down the alt key (either the left or right one) and then press the digits on the numeric keypad. When you finish typing in the number for that letter, release the alt key and the Thai letter will appear. If you have a lot of this to do, I can spend five minutes writing a Word VB subroutine that will translate a whole document of that gobbledy gook to actual Thai letters.

And before you say anything, yah it's pretty fucked up I know that. But I can just about answer every single MS Office question you might have. How sad is that!

<<burp>>

Easy.

Simply copy and paste it into a text file, rename it to whatever.htm, open it in EI, and you will see the Thai script. The text you quoted says "Sawatdee Ka."

gummigut said:

damn, I didn't even think of that! Nice one!

That'd work too. Just remember to have your internet explorer Encoding on Thai!

<<burp>>

I don't have time to test this right now, but this is how it works (to the best of my recollection).

Those numbers are Unicode representation of Thai characters. Therefore there is no need to tell the Explorer about the encoding. Unicode representation of each letter is unique.

If those letters were stored in a file (e.g. entered via a keyboard) instead of using the nnnn. representation, the file would have to be capable of storing Unicode characters, meaning it couldn't be stored in an ASCII flat file but UTF8 or UTF16. However, you still would NOT have to tell the Explorer about the Encoding. In Unicode world there is no encoding. Everything is unique.

You would use encoding if you were storing the Thai characters in an ASCII file (binary 00-FF). In that case the Explorer needs to know how to display that range of 256 characters which is shared among dozens or hundreds different encodings.

Hope this helps someone. Took me a long time to figure all this out--and I'm still not 100% sure I got all of it right.

• 1 month later...

Is there a way to convert Thai that has been scrambled into numbers (example: สวัสดี ค่ะ) back into readable Thai?

I use the attached web page

Just cut and paste and click on a button. (the website also translates into english)

this website also converts ÊÇÑÊ´Õ¤ÃѺ into Thai.

Archived