Warts, Herpes, TB, etc....

I have just read through the many postings.

I am a newbie coming to LOS in 2 weeks.

Condoms (even for oral sex) just appear to be 100% required.

Let's get a poll:

Who says 100%

who says "only for suspect girls"

who says "rarely to never"?

Has anyone met Thai girls who are not

active sex workers?

For example, Thai girls with low paying jobs,

who might like to spend time with a foreigner and be treated to dinner,

dancing, etc.

One guy (supposedly) said this worked for

him a couple of times by offering to buy the

girl some nice shoes.

This would just seem to be a good way to reduce the disease risk. These professional

girls are getting boinged 2 to 5 times a night!

Any feedback here?

• 2 weeks later...

I think condoms are necessary until you can be sure that there aren't any problems. Although some of the girls that you may meet don't seem to be the type to stray, Their previous boyfriends or husband (s) may have had several girls on the go.

I do know people here that don't use condoms and have never caught anything. I also know people that don't use condoms and haven't had any pregnancies to deal with. Ultimately it's up to you.

Jay

Sorry if I sound hars, but would you use

a condom if you screw somebody down in CA, who you know for a couple of hours/days or is it only a concern now, as you will

be visiting LOS ??.

Please use common sence mad.gif" border="0

Wraaap it!

While things have improved in Thailand since the mid 90’s, when reportedly in 1991 62% of sex workers in the province of Chiang Rai were HIV positive (http://www.utopia-asia.com/aidsth.htm), it is still far from over. Sounds like thai men were the main culprit by not wrapping it in the brothels and spreading the virus onto their regular partners (and onto the sexworkers). Thai men used to resent condom use, but that attitude seems to be gradually changing and also the frequency of brothel visits by the locals has been declining (from 96% (1993) to 85%(1996) of male population seeking the paid services over the course of one year) in the midst of the epidemics.

Bangkok in general, and establishments frequented by the farang are reportedly safer mainly due to a wider use of condoms. Bar-girls are encouraged to use condoms but they can be easily persuaded by a customer not to. I am not sure how often BG’s get tested for HIV. The test costs about 800 baht in Bumrungrad hospital in Bangkok for a farang. So while it may be cheaper for the girl to get tested, it is still a lot of money. And also, it can take up to 6 months for the test to be able to detect the disease (the titer of antibodies needs to reach certain level before it becomes detectable, so called seroconversion period, see another thread here).

In 1996 was observed: "If the prostitute is HIV positive, the brothel is notified, but generally the women remain working until they develop symptoms." (http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/press/1996/MARCH/199609.HTM)

The most recent data I was able to find about the HIV rates among the bargirls:

In 1997, 20% of sex workers in rural areas were HIV-positive compared with only 7% in Bangkok …(http://www.who.int/inf-new/aids1.htm). Still pretty high, yeah?

The 100% Condom Campaign helped to curb the spread of the disease, but there are definitely HIV positive girls out there and it may be impossible to identify them.

The condom may then be the only protection in between the sanuker and the deadly virus.

shocked.gif" border="0

"

For example, Thai girls with low paying jobs,

who might like to spend time with a foreigner and be treated to dinner,

dancing, etc.

One guy (supposedly) said this worked for

him a couple of times by offering to buy the

girl some nice shoes.

"

I don't think is that easy. It may take you days before NBG comes out without any friends, maybe weeks before you can try something more serious with her. You've got to be lucky with NBG but if you are too lucky she may turn to be a freelancer looking for some extra income.

"

This would just seem to be a good way to reduce the disease risk. These professional

girls are getting boinged 2 to 5 times a night!

"

My BGF from NEP emailed to me "no much customer", she had one barfine this month and it was when a Japanese guy barfined 4 of them, took them out for some food and ended up with one of them only. End of July I was there, 60 girls in the bar and five men, including myself.

Many posters on this board may agree that even stunners at NEP and SC are not getting anything near 2-5 STs a night.

If you were talking massage parlors - possibly.

quote:

I just returned from BKK/Pataya (trip report is almost ready) with a nasty case of candida, which I gave to two of my GF's. Not fun and I had used a condom every time! I feel damn lucky it wasn't warts or herpes.

Smitty

Smitty,

Sorry to hear you caught something nasty shocked.gif" border="0 What's candida exactly? I never heard of this baby crazy.gif" border="0

Archived