So, am I a "farang" or what?

monkey39

Ok, newbie question, I guess, but I'm a bit confused with the whole "farang" thing. I've been cruising several sites, looking for a definitive definition on this. Most sites state that "farangs" are Western foreigners in Thailand, but they don't all agree on whether its all Western foreigners, or just the Western Caucasian foreigners.

I'm a Korean-American, born in South Korea, but immigrated with my family to America when I was 4, and have been living in Texas since I was 5. If you talked to me on the telephone without ever having seen me, you'd think you were speaking to a good 'ol Texas boy! I guess you could call me a "banana" or a "twinkie" (yellow on the outside, white on the inside :p ); I actually don't have any Asian friends - this being Texas, all of my friends are white, Hispanic, or black (United Colors of Benetton!).

Anyway, just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Later!

monkey39

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Monkey39,

Farang originates from "frangset" which means Frenchman. To the best of my knowledge, it's used for caucasians. In your case I'd take it that Thais will not refer to you as Franag, even you being Texan.

Not sure what they will call you tho, I know that they will not call you 'banana' (kwauy in Thai).

Monkey,

If you are not Thai you are a farang. Farang merely means foreigner. If you are of mixed Thai blood and farang blood you are "look krueng" (but still Thai to most if you have been born and bred in Thailand and live there and have a Thai passport/ID). You are a farang American. Japanese are farang, as well as Koreans and all other races not Thai.

So, yep, you are farang. :)

Cent

Cent,

Have to disagree here, Japanese aren't farang, they're referred to as (Kuhn) Yippon, Koreans are referred to (Kuhn) Kow Lee. Definately not Farang!

Indians are referred to as Kaek (which also means 'customer').

Technically, no. A Farang means a European -- even if their ancestors left the UK or elsewhere several centuries ago. But back in the days when the US military was stationed in Thailand, black GIs were sometimes called Farang dahm ... which means "black white men"! (That was to distinguish them from Africans, who are not well thought of.)

There are several Asian-Americans on this board, one of them also Korean born. Most likely you will be mistaken for a Japanese, which supposedly means you have money! That can make you really a "hansum man".

p.s. I had a Chinese-American friend from Houston. Every time he opened his mouth, I'd shake my head. The accent just didn't go with the face!

:beer:

Limbo,

While you are correct that the word originated from the original Frenchman contact in history I believe the word has mutated over time and now refers to anyone not Thai, especially caucasians. But maybe someone, a certain Thai lady present here, (Jasmine where are you?) can illuminate this some more for us. She should be able to settle this and tell us what other Asians are considered by the Thais. I myself have heard Chinese tourists usually referred to by Thais as "Chinee", but have heard of Japn. tourists/punters referred to as farang before by BG's. So Jas, what's the scoop on this?

BTW Monkey, being of Asian descent you may sometimes be mistaken for Thai by Thais, until you open your mouth that is. Then they'll know you are a farang. :)

Cent

Hi Cent,

Let's argue over this with a case of beer and whoever falls under the table first loses! :beer:

The mrs says that Chinese, Japanese, Koreans etc are not referred to as Farangs. I can see the point and need for BG's though to simplify things and call them Farangs. Really like Flashermacs description of the Farang Dam, funny. :)

Archived