So, am I a "farang" or what?

monkey39

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"Farang originates from "frangset" which means Frenchman."

No, it originates from the word 'Frank' (i.e. the early Germans), which became 'ferengi' to the Persians (?) who brought the word to Thailand where it changed to 'farang'.

Sanuk!

Flashermac said:

p.s. I had a Chinese-American friend from Houston. Every time he opened his mouth, I'd shake my head. The accent just didn't go with the face!

:beer:

Yep, I can talk country with the best of'em! Yee-ha!

monkey39

Cent said:

BTW Monkey, being of Asian descent you may sometimes be mistaken for Thai by Thais, until you open your mouth that is. Then they'll know you are a farang. :)

Cent

Maybe, but as Yogi would say "I'm biiigger than the average Thai!" ::

Cheers,

monkey39

limbo said:

Hi Cent,

Let's argue over this with a case of beer and whoever falls under the table first loses! :beer:

The mrs says that Chinese, Japanese, Koreans etc are not referred to as Farangs. I can see the point and need for BG's though to simplify things and call them Farangs. Really like Flashermacs description of the Farang Dam, funny. :)

Limbo,

:D Name your poison partner! Sounds like more fun than doing it this way. :beer: Although I refuse to drink Heineken, as it gives me the worse case of cotton-mouth the next day and a wicked headache for some reason. ::

BTW, now KS says that the Thais are actually just calling us all Germans! :D I think KS needs to drink with us and discuss this stuff as well!

Cent

Monkey39,

"Yep, I can talk country with the best of'em! Yee-ha!"

Jeeezus Keeeerist, a Korean Texan! :: :D I'll bet you even own a pair of snakeskin cowboy boots and a 10 gallon cowboy hat too! ::

Hey, in Boston we have many Bostonians of Chinese descent. It is funny when you hear them talk with the serious Bostonian accent! Actually even in Massachusetts it's interesting to note that accents vary almost from city to city. A Bostonian can sometimes tell what city you were born and brought up in in Massachusetts just by your 'Boston' accent. Revere is easy to spot. Marblehead is a different accent from say, Lynn. You folks have that as well down in Texas don't you? Northern/Southern Texas? East/West Texas?

Cent

p.s. I still say you're a farang! :D

Cent said:

Monkey39,

"Yep, I can talk country with the best of'em! Yee-ha!"

Jeeezus Keeeerist, a Korean Texan! :: :D I'll bet you even own a pair of snakeskin cowboy boots and a 10 gallon cowboy hat too! ::

Nah, I can talk the talk, but cowboy boots pinch my toes, although I do own a straw cowboy hat! Only wear it to the beach, though...::

Hey, in Boston we have many Bostonians of Chinese descent. It is funny when you hear them talk with the serious Bostonian accent! Actually even in Massachusetts it's interesting to note that accents vary almost from city to city. A Bostonian can sometimes tell what city you were born and brought up in in Massachusetts just by your 'Boston' accent. Revere is easy to spot. Marblehead is a different accent from say, Lynn. You folks have that as well down in Texas don't you? Northern/Southern Texas? East/West Texas?

Cent

p.s. I still say you're a farang! :D

Yeah, in South Texas, you get more of a clipped Texas accent, due to the Mexican influence, I believe. West Texans tend to have a slower drawl than others, and East Texans are just fucking weird and provincial, IMO! I'm a Central Texan city boy, but I've had my fair share of country experiences, let me tell you boy!

Later!

monkey39

Jazz said:

No Thai ever called me farang ....

And they rarely ever mistake me for Thai ...

And they rarely ever take me for an American ...

Why's that? I'm assuming you're Asian - do you speak Thai? My Thai, not so goot... ;)

monkey39

Archived