Rabies in Bangkok

Boo Radley

Mad dog bites 52 people

A mad dog attacked and bit an estimated 52 people in Chatuchak park (in Bangkok) on Sunday morning and all victims are urged to get anti-rabies vaccinations immediately.

The dog was beaten to death by park security guards and its carcass sent to the Pasteur Institute for an examination, which confirmed it carried rabies.

Sudarat Keyuraphan, the health minister, said the dog attacked people strolling in the park area, along adjacent New Morchit road and possibly at bus stops and the park's exercise zone.

Mrs Sudarat said anyone bitten in the park area on Sunday morning should be vaccinated as soon as possible, either at the Pasteur Institute or the nearest public health centre.

City officials had been instructed to round up dogs in the area for observation.

Dr Apirom Puanghat, of communicable disease control, said rabies symptoms could appear within four days or take as long as a year.

Victims generally experienced itchiness around the wound, difficulty in swallowing and obstructed breathing.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/25Sep2001_news16.html

Every year at least 50 people in Thailand die of rabies (up to a few years ago the figure was 100-150). I'd say that each one of the victims is worth more than all the mangy, flea-ridden curs in the land - I'm sure the families of the deceased would agree with me.

It's a strange Buddhist notion that the Thais don't want to kill the dogs (sin!), but on the other hand, they eat everything that crawls, wiggles and flies (at least many of them do).

I say, EXTERMINATE the bloody menace! Maybe dog meat should be promoted as "aroy maak-maak". Thanks to the many good people of Sakhon Nakhon who've known this for a long time and who relish dog meat more than beef.

[ September 27, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

My opinion changes daily on discovery of each new case, who actually suffers from the worst inflictions ? the soi dogs or the soi people (beggers). I have never seen such deformities before. In the case of many of the dogs, whether rabid or otherwise, I think death would be a quick end to their torment.

Although necessary, I can imagine the relish that the park guards took in finally finding an opportunity to utilise their large clubs.

Archived