Saddest/moving movie you've seen?

Guest baldrick

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boring_Man said:

It all depends on my mood, but probably "This Sporting Life". Lock up the bourbon and the razor blades.

Boring Man

Have you got a copy of this with you in LOS - any format will do? I wanted to watch this for part of my current Uni module but Amazon were out of stock and quoting ages, so I had to make do with 'Saturday Night Sunday Morning' and 'A Kind Of Loving' plus some other bits and pieces.

If you have got it, could you give it to Poorjudge to bring to the quiz on Tuesday?

Cheers

Well, this surprised me but I got extremely down watching 'Cherm'/'Midnight My Love' which may have been largely due to my current state of mind but it's pretty gloomy stuff nevertheless.

Apart from the main story itself which piles it on fairly thick, it says a lot about the rather limited choices, aspirations and dreams available to the average Thai. The massage parlour girl is almost portrayed as being one of the fortunate ones, though the realities of her work are also quite coldly shown. There is a line in it which I quite liked where the taxi driver compares his job with hers in that they both have to take their customers where they want to go but they have to keep travelling because it's never where they want to go themselves. Something like that anyway.

There's also a line which sums up a lot of Thai people's outlooks when he explains why he always eats the same food at the same stall every night because he likes it there and another place might not be as good!

Mum Jokmok is really good in a very different sort of role but it seemed like a lot of people were expecting something more typically slapstick and funny and were so relieved when there was the odd bit of humour that they really overdid the .

Pride of the Yankees. Anyone who has seen this movie knows what I mean.

Titanic. I think everyone in the theatre cried when Kate Winslet let Leo go while floating at sea.

Last American Virgin. That girl did a number on Lawrence Monosan's character. Another reminder why I wouldn't trade being a teenager in the 80's for anything in the world.

I've never gone so far as to cry over a movie (because, hey, I'm a GUY) but the film with the saddest ending I've ever seen was definitely Sexy Secrets of the Kissogram Girls. This was mainly because 'Zoe' (a.k.a Pauline Hickey - http://www.bigbreastarchive.com/alphabetical/paulinehickey/paulinehickey.html ) didn't do the full strip I was expecting for my teenage cash. :cussing:

Come to think of it, although I didn't shed a tear during that movie, I did use quite a few paper tissues. ::

Long Gun said:
Boring_Man said:

It all depends on my mood, but probably "This Sporting Life". Lock up the bourbon and the razor blades.

Boring Man

Have you got a copy of this with you in LOS - any format will do? I wanted to watch this for part of my current Uni module but Amazon were out of stock and quoting ages, so I had to make do with 'Saturday Night Sunday Morning' and 'A Kind Of Loving' plus some other bits and pieces.

If you have got it, could you give it to Poorjudge to bring to the quiz on Tuesday?

Cheers

No luck, Long Gun.

I spoke with PoorJudge during a rare moment of lucidity ("sober as a judge", indeed!) and all either of us can offer is "O Lucky Man!" (if you're after Lindsay Anderson) or "Brief Encounter". It sounds as if you want 50s "kitchen sink" drama, though. PJ is an expert on everything, as you well know, and no doubt he'll be happy to "enlighten" you on the topic tomorrow.

If you do want something from him, let me know and I'll drop by his place and glue it to his hand so he doesn't forget it.

By the way, he says he's already written up tomorrow's quiz.

Boring_Man said:

>It sounds as if you want 50s "kitchen sink" drama, though. PJ is an expert on everything, as you well know, and no doubt he'll be happy to "enlighten" you on the topic tomorrow.

Well, I prefer to call it 'social realism in early 60s British Cinema' myself and with PJ being so dang English, I guess he could be a good source of a zippy conclusion to my essay.

Boring_Man said:

By the way, he says he's already written up tomorrow's quiz.

Did we win?

Cyclo, a vietnamese/french movie... first time I watched it I found the director pushed too hard on the despaired side of life. Watched it again later and it was one of the most beautiful movie I ever got too see. Very deep and poetic.

Some japanese movie happenning in Hong Kong I saw years ago by chance on belgium TV. Scenes keep coming up my mind but totally unable to find any link on internet. Seriously looking for the DVD. Name might be "The Spring Garden"

Any info on that movie more than welcome

Last year "Old Boy" was way above anything else I saw on screens, and as disturbing as it comes

anyone said Asia??

Plus western classics... Blade Runner, The Deer Hunter and more recently Trainspotting

Cinema is some great invention !

Archived