Monk punks

SoiledCowboy

From news.com.au 31.05.05

Monks defrocked after street brawl

FIVE Thai Buddhist monks have been defrocked and fined after a brawl with monks from a nearby temple, police and newspapers said today.

The street fight was the culmination of years of antagonism between monks from the two temples who had often exchanged curses, insults and rude gestures as they collected alms on different sides of a road, the Manager newspaper said.

"When an ordinary person is given a middle-finger sign, he will be mad. So am I," the paper quoted one of the defrocked monks, Boonlert Boonpan, as saying after the brawl in the north-eastern state of Nong Khai yesterday.

Boonlert said he usually carried a knuckle-duster in his shoulder bag during the morning collection of alms on which Buddhist monks depend, it said.

Boonlert and the four other monks, all aged between 15 and 28, were each fined 1000 baht ($32) by police for public brawling and were defrocked by senior monks, Wut Pomraksa, head of Nong Khai police station, said.

Guest lazyphil

Sometimes people hire monks around here to bless houses and newly opened restaurants, its wise they keep their necks firmly in, I wouldn't of course because I totally respect Thai culture 110% :clown:.... but if they pulled out a knuckle duster to the wrong person they could be spending time in intensive care.... ::

Remember that virtually all Thai males are expected to spend some time in the monkhood. For many of them, it is just a tradition and something done to please their parents. I've had students admit to me that it meant nothing to them, just a family duty to perform.

In any temple, the "real monks" -- who may stay monks for life -- will live in a seperate section from these "temporary monks". I could tell tales about "bad monks", but I'll just mention one that I personally knew. He was a Chinese-Thai whose parents had a nice restaurant in town. The guy -- about 20 -- planned to go into the monkhood for just a week or two. But he was so careless that he didn't realise it was just before the Buddhist "rains retreat" and he could not resign for about three months. We used to see him roaming about late at night, which is itself a no-no. Next thing I heard, his girlfriend's parents had gone to the abbot complaining that the guy had knocked up their daughter! That's what he had been doing at night -- shagging his GF!

::

The abbot had the perp brought in, chewed him out for violating his obligations and bringing disgrace on to the robes and then had him defrocked and booted out of the temple. On top of that, the gal's parents arranged a shotgun wedding for him.

'Nuff said.

My nephew and most of the boys inthe village all joined the monk hood this year for their summer holidays.

aged betwen 9 and 11, I thought they would be a handful for the monk, but behaved themselves very very weell.

Some still take it seriously, but it's getter rarer and rarer

Archived