Tylenol 2 - Not back into the US!

All--

On my last trip to BKK (one week ago) I left with a bit of a "head cold" and generally feeling pretty shitty...

I went to BH and saw my doctor... He said that there was nothing really wrong.. I just needed some rest and liquids (you know the old 'chicken soup' solution) and take 2 aspirin for your headache...

He recommended Tylenol 2 which I bought over-the-counter at Foodland (Soi 5)... I had may be 10 or 12 tablets with me when I got back into the US...

The US Customs officer (who I've known for 2 years now) inspected my bags, which is normal since I fly on our cargo jets, and he asked me "Do if I had any of the common stuff this time?".. I said no.

He saw the silver plastic of the Tylenol2 wrappers and asked what it was.. I said it's just tylenol2 for my headcold... He said "I need to ask about this stuff"... He left and came back with an Inspector from the DEA.. The DEA guy (who I've never seen) told me that since it has Codine, it is classified as a 'controlled substance' in the US and requires a prescription for importation.. I said that i didn't get a prescription as it was an otc purchase in Thailand.. The DEA guy said to me "We'll let it go this time, but it would be a lot better for you if you got a letter or prescription from your Thai doctor for the tylenol. Then you can bring in as much as you like, just so long as you don't re-sell it or something like that"..

The DEA guy also said that there are A LOT of medicines that are OTC in asia that are controlled (need a prescription) items in the US..

He said that the DEA arrests lots of people coming into the US trying to smuggle these types of pills in..

He said to me, if you don't know, it's always better to ask.. He said that the DEA has a few offices overseas (Bangkok has one) you can call or (better yet) ask a Customs Officer when you arrive.. S/he will call the DEA for you.. That way (he says) it doesn't look like you're trying to smuggle them into the US... Afterall you made a voluntary declaration.. He said that (unless it is obviously illegal drugs) the worst thing that DEA/Customs will do to you is simply take it away (confiscate it) from you.

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Hi UPSer , good to hear things are check,

this post interests me , I have also had to consider these matters in the past . Unless you have a photographic memory you will never know what the law is in various countries . I allways either get something in writting from Doc before I cross borders .....but more often than not I take that other favourite option , eat EVERYTHING , wash it down with a few lagers & you are really flying!!!! shocked.gif" border="0

Take care mate. smile.gif" border="0

All--

Since this incident I went to my local office of the US Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) and got further..

Here's what I got.. First, ANY drug that you bring into the US must be APPROVED by the FDA, therefore experimental drugs and such are not permitted in any cases...

Secondly, if the drug IS approved by the FDA, then it must be decided if it "controlled" or not. That is can it bought in the US with or without a prescription.. If it is NOT controlled then there is no problems. If it IS controlled, then you need to have a "qualified" medical certificate (read: prescription) to import it. Additionally, you can only import a REASONABLE quantity for YOUR OWN personal use only. Although your prescription may say for 500 pills, the DEA has the right to confiscate any quantity that THEY deem to be UNreasonable.. I hear that a normal dosage schedule for 90days is the guideline.

It's a bit complicated, but I'd rather be on the right side of the law on this issue...

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

From the US Custom's web page.

A new bill was recently passed by Congress that amends a portion of the Controlled Substances Act (21USC956(a)). This amendment allows a United States resident to import up to 50 dosage units of a controlled medication without a valid prescription at an international land border. These medications must be declared upon arrival, be for your own personal use and in their original container. However, travelers should be aware that drug products which are not approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration may not be acceptable for such importation. FDA warns that such drugs are often of unknown quality and discourages buying drugs sold in foreign countries

Web address http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/travel/med.htm

the above bill refers to purchases brought in from mexico and canada only -("international land border")- if you buy in mexico your order is usually supplied with a prescription from a doctor which comes in handy when travelling around the world with great drugs

• 3 weeks later...

All-

I just found this out... I was looking on the web for some information about a good general pain killer (headaches) that won't make you really sleepy... Anyway, while looking I found a website about the various formulations of Tylenol... Guess what? All the Tylenols with numbers (ie Tylenol 2, Tylenol 3, etc.) are habit forming shocked.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0 and addictive... Oh great! He I am taking one daily for my headaches frown.gif" border="0 .. Oh boy, here comes rehab! mad.gif" border="0

---UPSer laugh.gif" border="0

Archived