Is this True?

Saw this comment about the two Thai consonants which are not used anymore. Is this true?

"Two of the consonants (khor khuat and khor khon) aren't used in written Thai anymore. When the first Thai typewriter was developed by Edwin Hunter McFarland in 1892, there was simply no space for all characters, thus two had to be left out".

Not sure if it's funny or not! :D

Yep their gone, they were redundant to my understanding.

Thai's still seem to be taught them more than Ferang, so try to stick them in somewhere. Just don't get pre-ocupuied by them.

They still ocur in a rare word like "Ferang", but don't let the comonality of that word for us, impress you, the letter "khor Khun" ocurs in only a handful of instances.

Thai's still seem to be taugh their alphabetic order with these two still intact.

Thai's still seem to be taugh their alphabetic order with these two still intact.

Thats what I thought - from many years of Thai people reading my T shirt (the one with the alphabet printed on it) - always knew something was sounding familiar when they started reciting the Alphabet, but usually in unexpected and non "nightlife" places - so usually took me a while to realise what they were doing. One of the reasons it encouraged me to crack on with the Thai Learning.

As they always recited these two letters, I figured that I would learn the buggers also - and I also figured you can't know enough "K"'s :D :D :D

Archived