CENTRE HOTEL - BANGKOK CENTRE HOTEL - NEAR TRAIN .

unit731

It was about 20 years ago, on my first trip to Bangkok. I went with a friend. I never make reservations (I do now, though). Arrived in LOS near midnight. Found/took cab and just said go "downtown" for a hotel. Well . . . about 10 minutes in to drive - the two of us in back seat starting talking about "girls". The cab driver heard us talking and asked if we wanted "nice ladies". "Yes" in unison, was the answer. Well the cab driver made an immediate u-turn . . . and minutes later we had stopped at places where ladies for hire resided. After picking two (one each), the cab driver asked if we wanted "hotel". "Yes", again. He took us to some half decent hotel . . . and at hotel counter, I got one room with two double beds for the 4 of us. We was traveling on the cheap, then. The reception person kept saying: "Too many people, one room!". Sanding behind me, were the two girls, my friend, and the cab driver. So, I turn, look at them, turn back to hotel receptionist, and state: "The cab driver is not staying in room with us". Needles to say, the four of us got one room. The cab driver got his "kickback". And all went well. But to this day, I have no idea where this hotel is/was. The next day, after girls were paid and gone, the two of us took cab to Cenre Hotel. Now the Bangkok Centre Hotel near train station. I picked this hotel from some guide book I must have had - I can't remember. As I knew some day I would travel by train in Thailand, I wanted to see the train station.

But, back to the subject of this post. The Bangkok Centre Hotel is a nice older hotel. I completely enjoyed the stay there. The hotel is/was guest friendly. The restaurant was good and the menu at time was in five languages and served, if my memory is correct: Western, Thai, Korean, Chinese, and Japanese foods. The room was clean. Had small refrigerator - cable TV. The cleaning staff always left room immaculate. www.bangkokcentrehotel.com I think it is located off Rama IV. Anyway, walking out of hotel front door, walking left (on Rama IV, I think) about 1 kilometer was an open market that went street after street. Open stalls in middle of streets. I don't know if I was there during a holiday or this market is there every day. But everything under the sun could be purchased there. Someone once told me this was "China Town". I don't know if it was or was not.

Note: the websites that offer cheap discount rates for this hotel may be potentially inaccurate. Go directly to the hotel's website and read what the hotel states for rates.

All in all, a good hotel if you like to take train travel or if you want to stay in that part of Bangkok. Again, my information is 20 years old.

:up:

Archived