enlish teachers visiting nightlife scenes

dragon167

I think it is a big story (or even a scandal) if we find our teachers visiting nightlife scenes periodically (at least in my country!!!!). Did you guys try to cover up your action? Did you meet your thai colleague or even students in the nightlife areas. You guys must have many interesting (or even embarassing??!!!) stories.

I am absolutely NOT intended to offend anyone, just out of curiosity!

You must be joking.... A good percentage of English teachers go out and get drunk and take girls home, predominantly bar girls. The more prudent teachers will be careful to party in areas where their students would not be seen, but hey, if one gets caught, it's not the end of the world.

Plenty of my students have seen me walking around town, hand in hand with my on again / off again girlfriend who is unmistakenly a native of Isaan. My previous school never liked it that I had such a girlfriend, but as all of the other teachers did too, not much they could do...

Stick

HI to the board!

When I first came to Thailand, years before the baht fell, I started working at a language institute that employed many questionable individuals. One of the stories I heard was a rather drunken bloke went to one of the red light districts with his school blazer on. Apparently other teachers came in and there on the stage was one of the bg dancing in the teacher's blue blazer.

Other teachers used to eat lunch near the school with their bggf and I am sure this raised a few eyebrows.

I can also think of one individual--I don't want to stoop to call him a person--used to have a few little boys tagging behind him wherever he went. Yet he had the balls to say in a teacher's meeting, after a school jacket was seen up on stage, that teachers should not visit the red light districts.

"If you must go... go to Pattaya," he said with a wink.

Put it another way. If it wasn't for the "active" night life in Thailand, the vast majority of male English teachers wouldn't be here.

Teaching English in LOS just gives a little legitimacy for being here and for some teachers who don't need the money, a day-time purpose. For the others, to scrape by to support their nocturnal activities. Individuals are not teaching in LOS to further build their IRA accounts!

Also at a language institute that employed many questionable individuals...

One of my students once came into class and held up his hand:

"Teacher, I can't drink"

"Ah, why can't you drink?"

"Well, last week I had a sandwich"

"What do you mean, last week you had a sandwich?"

I was baffled(!), so with a straight face asked him a whole string of questions and he went on to explain to the whole class exactly what kind of sandwich he had had and why that had led to him not being able to drink.

Another student used to come out with us to Soi Cowboy and pretend to be Japanese. It was a riot.

In fact it was students fro this school who first took me to a short time hotel.

What a scandal!

Let's say, what would have happen if you found your secondary school teacher visiting the red light district and even buying sex. You know gossip would be quickly spread over the school and the situation would be quite difficult.

Actually I didn't want to stimulate any moral discussion. I just thought that these must be some interesting stories.

It's an interesting post Dragon, but teachers like everyone else on the planet want to go out and have some fun sometimes.

I've taken many mature students out to Patpong and Soi Cowboy down the years and almost without exception they've thoroughly enjoyed it (many of the students have been female as well)

I think a lot of the thai younger generation are a lot more curious about this side of the Thai culture than we actually realise.

Archived