Your first trip to LOS

Pescator

I visited LOS for the first time in ´92 and that was a total coincidence, just looking for a cheap ticket to somewhere warm. Had no idea what to expect. And looking back I wouldn`t have had it any other way although it would have allowed me to realize that there actually was a pretty lively nightlife down here a couple of years earlier

Pretty much my scenario in 2000, looking for somewhere warm and cheap pon my way to Europe. Although I read a bit of Stickman before I left, I didn't stumble onto the board until a year or so later. Wouldn't have made much difference as my trip was mostly an organised tour. Didn't find the nightlife - and the lads from the board - until the next trip.

My first trip was very much of a spur of the moment thing as I'd been visiting places further and further east over a number of years, I'd done no preperation whatsoever,I like adventure so stayed at the Grace hotel as it was descibed as 'infamous' in the guide book ::..I was totally taken in by Nana Plaza , fell in love with evry girl I saw and once I'd been to Pattaya life was never going to be normal again. I don't regret any of it and I like making my own mistakes, Idon't think much written here would have much difference to me in those days as I'm very independent minded & even the grace coffee shop I thought was exotic!!

JP

HN,

No matter how much you read, study and talk with others. It never truly prepares you for the "reality" of your first experience of Thailand and it's nightlife. I studied, read and talked with others, it still "blew me away". That was 5 years ago.

Mai bin lai, chok dee kop,

HOKS

I did a little reading about Thailand before the first trip. The first 50 pages of the 1988 LP guide book and the "Culture Shock Thailand book".

That was just the right amount of information.

Never did stay in any recomeded spots, just bumbled through finding my way on my own.

I wouldn't want it to have been different.

Hi Hua Nguu,

I went first time with my mum and dad not knowing shit all about thailand other than the image I had of James Bond Island.

Tinking back I wouldnt have had it any other way, because my naiivete/innocence in itself was the factor that opened many doors to a unique and unforgettable experience.

On thursday I am going again for the 25 time...

Cheers,

Pharcyde

HOKSIPKAU said:

HN,

No matter how much you read, study and talk with others. It never truly prepares you for the "reality" of your first experience of Thailand and it's nightlife. I studied, read and talked with others, it still "blew me away". That was 5 years ago.

Mai bin lai, chok dee kop,

HOKS

Same Same Hoks. I had followed the (old) board, read all the posts and reviews, even found some pics of various GoGos and the girls and thought I had a good idea of what to expect.

My 1st night, after over 24 hours of miserable traveling to get there (with only 2 hours sleep and a hangover from the night before), all I wanted was a beer to celebrate that I made it alive, then crash out to sleep.

Dead tired and a nervous wreck at just after 2:00 AM I staggered from the Nana hotel after checking in and found where NEP was to get me my beer. Ended up running into Voodoo (back in its day before the "Social Order"), and ran to the bar to get me my beer - only made it half-way when I suddenly said "h o l y.... S H _ T" - saw all these young, beautiful, naked and topless girls all smiling warmly at me (they looked WAY better in person than in any pics I saw)! Forgot all about my trip and how tired I was (but I still got my beer). Will never forget that first initial shock...

:chili::yay:

Hi Pharcyde,

Well, you knew about James Bond Island being in Thailand, you were way ahead of me. I still believed it was "somewhere in the South China Sea" as they put it in the movie :(

This thread could actually develop into a competion about who actually knew the least about Thailand before going for the first time. Preferably along the lines with the famous Monty Python sketch where a bunch of guys are bragging about their hardship during childhood: We were 12 persons living in a shoe box in the middle of the road, driven over by the milktruck every afternoon.....etc.

25th trip eh? I am still ahead of you, but you will have evened up the score upon your return. :)

Happy trails

Hua Nguu

MaiLuk said:

>>I visit Thailand for the first time... for 2 month. I traveled with a thai female friend who lived at that time in my home country.<<

Haha, the exact same for me.

I had never read anything whatsoever about thailand before arriving. She took me everywhere by day and kept me holed up in her family's bkk house by night. After six days i couldn't take it and after an argument she relented and took me to stay at a hotel. She placed me in the baiyoke in pratunam safely away from nightlife.

:D:wave:

Hua Nguu said:

This thread could actually develop into a competion about who actually knew the least about Thailand before going for the first time.

He! I could win then.......

My boss told me on a tursday afternoon I was leaving for Thailand on saturday.

Just enough time to prepare for my work and pack.

That was in may 1980, no internet, no mobile phones, no fax.

I knew nothing at all and it even took me a few trips before I 'discovered' it all my myself :p

82 trips later I am still learning.

BB

Archived