International Baseball

Sarisin

Was wondering what you athletic supporters out there thought about the two recent 'decisions' re international baseball...

1. Kicking baseball and softball off the card for the Olympics. I know there is a big uproar in the US about this, but as a serious US baseball fan I was never that excited about baseball in the Olympics. We only sent a mishmash of college players to represent our 'national past time.' Never seemed really serious and now an outcry because it is out. Softball, who knows?

2. The new International Baseball World Series or whatever they are calling it to be held in March. Sounds like an interesting idea if you get the best players to represent their countries, but already many stars have said they will skip it because of risk of injury, but I suspect the lack of $$$ is more like it. Japan and Cuba might not participate, the former problems with the players' union and the latter the threat of defections. Finally, I had to question some of the country selections? I really, really think Dutch people are neato (except for Khun Sanuk who is a stingy hamster lover :)), but how popular is baseball in the Netherlands and are there any good players from there? Maybe a tulip growing event for them would be better. :neener:

What do all those baseball-loving members think of this - um, there must be a couple on this board.

In the Home Run Derby that was held before the All Star Game, they had players represent their home country. Andrew Jones of the Atlanta Braves was representing the Netherlands. He is from Curacao, which is in the Dutch Antilles.

Dunno why they booted the men's BB as it seemed pretty competitive , well at least some giving the Cubes a run for the money , since it's inauguration. I went to one of the exibition games at Dodger Stadium back in 84. Saw the U.S beat Taiwan. Alot of guys from that team went on to some good careers in the bigs.

Now for the ladies , seemed the US cleaned up the 3 times it was held.

Here's some more info on olympic team sport winners from the past.

http://www.gbrathletics.com/olympic/team.htm

Hey , I thought you are a Jersey guy ? they don't play hardball in Joysy :grinyes:

Bada :beer: Bing

South Jersey.

I can just about see Citizens Bank Park across the river from where I live.

I have always been a big Philadelphia four team sports fan - Iggles, Phillies, Sixers and Flyers.

Yeah, I know. I have not had a really happy life so far, but there is always hope and Andy Reid. :)

The IOC has gone bonkers. Keeping synchronized swimming and "rhythmic" gymnastics. I understand there may be exibitions of the above, but where do we go to see competitions?? At least baseball has fans in the far East, the Americas, and the Carib. Sub bowling for baseball I guess.

The Phillies are in the most competitive division of the National League, but have been disappointing this year. WTF happened to Jim Thome even with his hurts? At least Abreu is having an all-star year. As a born and bred Pennsylvania boy, I still follow Philley, but have been a left coaster for 33 years. Therefore, i put up with the travails of the Giants and A's. I reckon so.

personally i don't see a problem with Baseball and Softball being omitted.

so few Countries play the games full-time and if they do it is in a professional League.

the IOC shot themselves in the foot when they allowed the 'Dream Team' into the Games.

all those multi-millionaires playing would have made Baron De Corbitan (sp) turn in his grave.

same as Tennis and all the Millionaires and i'm glad they have still decided to omit Golf.

very friendly a few Years ago with 2 Sisters who were Members of the British Synchronized Swimming Team and i can tell you they looked fucking awesome,only 20 and 19 at the time and their bodies were so fine.

what i would have given to share a bed with the pair of them.

i love Rhythmic Gymnastics and probably the only Olympic sport i look forward too.

the sport is so technical and skillful and graceful.

any one of us can pick up a bat and try and hit a ball 100 Yards,but none of us can do what those young Girls can do.

and i feel so sorry when they fuck up and drop the ball..........

Axing softball was a no brainer. The USA team destroys everyone else, no competition whatsoever. Most of the other countries couldn't even field a full team of true nationals. The voids were filled with americans that couldn't cut it for the USA team, but had some sort of bloodline to the country the were playing for. The only thing I'll miss with softball being absent is getting to stare at Jenny Finch!! :bow:

Archived